What Should I Look For During Quarantine Period?

Melle

Hi, I have been busy with a new baby boy (he's 7 months old now) so don't spend too much time on the forum any more but it's great to see the exponential increase in membership!!!

Anyway, to the question:

As my topic title indicates, I'm not sure what I should watch for during quarantine besides the appearance of Ich spots or weird behavior. I really want to do this right because my moores have grown quite large (6-7 inches) and I am rather attached to them. I would hate to stress them out by introducing two disease-ridden loaches.

The tanks at the LFS where I purchased the dojo's looked pretty good and I happen to know that the fish stock was relatively old (they hadn't gotten their weekly shipment--there were hardly any goldies and many other tanks were empty).

So besides Ich and weird behavior, what else should I be looking for during the quaranine period? Also, is it highly important to salt the tank? I do not normally add salt and don't have any aquarium salt.

:hmm

Thanks guys!

Hi :) nice to meet you!

aside from what you already said Id look for flashing, scratching

yawning

gulping air at the surface

also good indication that anything wrong is clamped fins

also cheek the poop!

poop should be the same color as the food you feed.

Also may be a good idea to salt the tank during QT, elievates stress and helps with parasites.

Thanks, I will keep an eye out for what you mentioned as well. So far they seem to be acting normal. Although salt alleviates stress I don't think I will salt the tank unless the fish start showing signs of trouble.

I did pile up some gravel and rocks for the loaches, I hope that will help them feel more comfy. They'd been laying around the corners of the tank because there was nowhere to hide. They found the gravel with a quickness and just their heads are poking out.

I can't wait to move them in with my large moores!

Archived