Feeling Really Stupid

Guest JustJayde

Guest JustJayde

Ok I have never spent this much time eyeballing fish before lol but today I was talking to fishie and he swam so I could see his tummy... but as he moved it looked like he had 2 huge cuts on either side of his head but on the underside by his tummy. Am I making any sense??

Are these gills? I know the ones on the side behind his eyes are but what are the weird things on his underside between his head and tummy?

I almost freaked out when I saw them, thinking he hurt himself but he is swimming and happy...

please, educate me!

No such thing as a dumb question :) Lots of questions are always needed to gain fishie knowlege.

It sounds like they are just gills, they do cut pretty deep. Are the to cuts the same size, shape, curve etc? Do they connect to his gills?

Guest JustJayde

Same size and shape, and deep enough at the quick glance I had to make me chuck a spaz ;) cant really tell if they are connected because I only got a 2 second peep and as he is acting normal I don't wanna grab him n stress him to see lol

I assume they are just gills but wanted to be sure :)

they look closer to his little front fins than they do his face gills ...

I tried to go0gle some gill shots but none show from the underside so thanks for not laughing at me ;)

No problem, I've asked some strange questions as well. Maybe you can trace your finger up the glass to the top of the tank like you are about to feed him. If he decides to cooperate, you'll see another glimpse of his tummy. I just want to be sure thats what it is :)

Guest JustJayde

I have done it a few times but cant see it the same way...

It was just the way he was moving... wiggling side to side with his body and then it was REALLY noticeable. If I figure out how to make him dance again I will peek closer hehehe

I think what you are seeing is actually folds of skin and tissue that allow the gills to flap open and closed. These same folds alow their mouths to open to breathe and eat. They run along the bottom of each side of the jaw and there are actually many layers and flaps.

Nothing to worry about in the least..... ;)

Paul

Oh! I freaked out the first time I really saw how GN eats - his whole lower jaw distends from his mouth and at the same time, the part of his head between his eyes moves forward... when I saw it from his tummy side, I really worried! Then, over time, I saw that nothing bad happened to him and this *strange* contortions happened whenever he ate - so it was normal! I was very grateful then that he turned orange as if he had remained black, I would not have seen how the layers of connective tissue worked together over the ligaments to make him chew and swallow. There ae some ligs or cartilage from the underside view that run fromt he mouth all the way to the point of curvature of the gills onthe underside and it looks very disconcerting when they move! Now that I have babbled, I think it is what Toothless is describing - I wonder if it has a name?!

Guest JustJayde

LOL well I am glad it wasn't just me that freaked upon seeing it.

It looked like someone sliced him open :krazy:

But I did notice right away he was fine and happy, so I got a grip ;)

Thanks all for taking the time to reply :)

Oh!  I freaked out the first time I really saw how GN eats - his whole lower jaw distends from his mouth and at the same time, the part of his head between his eyes moves forward... when I saw it from his tummy side, I really worried!  Then, over time, I saw that nothing bad happened to him and this *strange* contortions happened whenever he ate - so it was normal! I was very grateful  then that he turned orange as if he had remained black, I would not have seen how the layers of connective tissue worked together over the ligaments to make him chew and swallow. There ae some ligs or cartilage from the underside view that run fromt he mouth all the way to the point of curvature of the gills onthe underside and it looks very disconcerting when they move! Now that I have babbled, I think it is what Toothless is describing - I wonder if it has a name?!

391269[/snapback]

HA my friend noticed the mouth thing on mouschi last night when i fed her and she freaked like "omg what the *** is wrong with your fish's mouth!!?"

Archived