Question About Veil Tails

Torbe

Hi, I am half-way contemplating getting a veil tail but I was wondering what kind of health problems it might bring because I had a celestial once and that gave me plenty of problems.

The only thing I can think of is maybe possibly more suseptible to tail rot, but I don't know for sure. I think as long as you kept the water nice and clean as with any other fish, you won't have any problems. The veiltail breed is generally pretty hardy...and pretty :)

A veiltail can grow to be a very large fish, given good care. I, personally, think that they, perhaps more so than many breeds of goldfish, need more water per fish than average. I give 20 gallons per fish on veils for their finnage alone. I do not mix sexes in the same tank for breeding behavior can get extraordinarily hard on the delicate tail.

The veil tails in my collection seem to thrive at slightly warmer temperatures than say, Ranchu, ORanda or Demekin. I usually aim at around 76-78F for a veil tank.

They are also far less forgiving of poor water conditions. Perhaps all the fine finage takes the poor water harder or whatever, I do not know, but you can never cycle with a veil and expect it to thrive or even live. Do your tank first.

Veils are hearty eaters - they have the same type of body as Ryukins - slightly modifyed - so feeding is no problem. Tank decorations and such require some thought though. THere should be nothing sharp or rough in the tank. Even some plastic plants have leaves with points on them that could snag that fantastic finnage and rip a hole or runner in it. Make sure everything is soft, round and has sufficient area around it that the fish cannot get its fins caught in it.

Other than that, a veiltail is a gorgeous fish. I would equate the level of care a tiny step below that of a bubble eye - about like a celestial.

:)

Well, I have a 55 gallon tank......and only one oranda so there should be plenty of space and I have been cycling my 20 gallon tank for a month. The ph is 7.6 and the nitrite is 0 and the nitrate is 0.5 Ammonia is zero in my quarintine tank. do you think it is safe for me to bring home a veil tail or should I wait some more?

Archived