School Project

Guest Mfish

Hey guys.

I haven't been on much since school started and now that I'm back on its about school. :(

Okay so we were assigned a project where we take two 3L soda bottles and put a fish on the bottom one and a plant and land creature on the top one. Here's a link to a better description. And another.

We must leave the fish and creature unattened and they must live with out any feedings, watering, cleaning (etc.) My teacher wants them to live at least 10 wks. To my displeasure, I heard folk swith a sub par knowledge of fish saying, "Lets put something small in, like a goldfish!'

Anyway I kind of expected that. :madrant

So here's my question, I'm going to throw out combo of plants and animals about the aquarium section. Tell me if they will work.

4 ghost shrimp

1 sm. java fern

1 male betta

1 sm. java fern

4 ghost shrimp

same as #2 just w/o ghost shrimp

3 White clouds

(maybe) ghost shrimp

sm java fern

Any other suggestions are welcomed. if you have ideas on the land animal great, they are welcomed too :D

Remember no attenion a loud, not even feedings. I hope they can eat the java fern. If not, what can they eat and will lsat a long time

Any sugestions would be awesome!!! :D

Guest Chishower

If I were you, I wouldnt do the project. Its cruel and unnecessary, and your teacher should see that. Maybe you should talk to her? Or even go to the pricipal?

Bettas are carnivors, anyway. They need meat.

If I were you, I wouldnt do the project.  Its cruel and unnecessary, and your teacher should see that.  Maybe you should talk to her?  Or even go to the pricipal?

Bettas are carnivors, anyway.  They need meat.

391025[/snapback]

Maybe you could tel lyour teacher the fish wont survive long at all and see if you can maybe suggest a different project?Good luck :(:exactly

If my daughter came home with this then i would be straight on the phone to the SSPCA and then the school. Its downright cruel. You should ask her if you can do the experiment on her and lock her in a cupboard with a snail and a plant and see if she can last 10 weeks.

Nothing will survive that long im afraid and i would say no and stand up for what you believe in. If more students did that then they may think twice before putting little animals in bottles to starve them to death.

What are you going to learn anyway? how long it takes for a fish to starve?

Sorry, im not ranting at you, just the idiocy of the situation you are in.

I know none of that helped so maybe its best to go with something like the shrimp and hope death comes quickly for them or get a guppy and secretly feed it a couple of flakes now and again.

Rebel. I'm so sick of my own school doing experiments with animals (by the way...mine are much worse than this one) and I wish it didn't happen elsewhere also. You don't have to do anything drastic. I would just talk to the teacher, explain to her that this is considered neglect and cruelty, and most animals will die, and others will be severly malnurished and sick. If absolutely nothing can be done, tell her that a goldfish simply will not live because the produce way more waste, and will be thru with the plant in a day. A betta will not survive either, they are carnivores/insectavores and will get absolutely no nutritional value from the plant, even if they do nibble out of starvation. If the ammonia does not kill it, it will most likely get some severe fin rot from it, and will most likely die that way. White clouds...I don't know if they'll eat the plant, and its not enough food anyways. Ghost shrimp...if you do not want to get in the middle of this, suggest that everyone uses a couple of these I guess. I think they'll eat the plant (not very nutritious) and don't produce much waste (especially if they are not being fed). This sounds like a torture project...All of those aquatic animals need clean, dechlorinated water, food, and at least some sort of aeration (except maybe the betta). I don't think any of those animals will survive that long in filthy water without food.

Mfish, I'm with Sandy on this. I would be horrified if my son was expected to do this and no way would I allow it. I would be up that school complaining and insisting such projects were abolished right away. What is the point of it anyhow?

As a 14 year old, I dont know how much good it would do for you to talk to the teacher yourself or refuse to do the project, I doubt they would listen to your reasons .. but I would def get your parents to complain (give your parents all the info they need to show why this is so bad and inhumane) and if the school refuses to budge, maybe your parents could offer to report the school for cruelty!

Guest JustJayde

I agree, I would NOT do this assignment.

In fact, when I was in school they had something sickening similar with rats. Any living creature being abused is a no go for me.

I failed the assignment, and then I went to the SPCA and also threatened to go to the news channels/papers/ etc

The teacher made the others do the assignment anyway but she was not allowed to fail me.

Things like this sadden me immensely.

Guest JustJayde

Kissy, their number is in the phone book ...

I called them and explained the experiments and because it was "just a rat" they didn't do anything other than talk to the teacher and explain that it was a pretty mean thing to be doing..

I don't imagine they will do more for fish, but it still would bring it to the teachers attention ...

just wanted to warn everyone who looks at this post. i don't know if it was just my bad luck or what, but yesterday right before closing time i looked at this post and clicked on the first link which didn't bring me to a website, it brought up a install box which i closed, then froze my pc. I restarted then went to the second link, then shut down for the day. Well I get to work this morning and my pc is a complete nightmare! Popups like you can?t imagine and i have a ad blocker, computer kept freezing over and over. I had close to 200 ad/spy ware programs on my pc that wasn't there before and other programs put on without me saying install. I?ve been fighting with this for almost four hours, I think I might have finally fixed it. so it may have just been me, but please be careful!

Back to the subject, I wouldn?t do that project. aren?t these people suppose to be educated??? I?d talk to my parents and teacher and try to cancel the project and if they wouldn?t, I?d proudly take my F

Guest Chishower

Kristy - thats odd, I didnt have any problems with either link. One link is a radio talk show about fish, though. Maybe your computer didnt like that?

Well? Any updates on this 'project'?

Kristy - thats odd, I didnt have any problems with either link.  One link is a radio talk show about fish, though.  Maybe your computer didnt like that?

391513[/snapback]

maybe so, my pc is still a mess with pop ups :angry: i'm on a network so i can't disconnect from the internet, so when i'm working (not on the net) the popups still keep on coming :angry:

Everything you guys have said is what I thought at first too. The teacher has made some models and said the fish, a betta, had been alive for three weeks (I don't really buy that). To me, it looked like all it had to eat was a mossball so I was surpised it was alive. It looked pretty healthy. B/c I have just been assigned the project, I only know a few things about it. Tommorow I will ask what the fish is eating.

From what you guys have said, if I put in anything at all, it would be just a few ghost shrimp. I don't really want to make a huge fuss w/ the teacher, but you guys are right, this project is inhumane. I guess the teacher's look on the project is, "It's just a fish." :(

hhmm.. thats a hard one, because most fish need to be fed. I would say a cricket for the land one, but they only have a lifespan of 8 weeks.

how about some trumpet or ramshorn snails for the bottom...... and... err....

put a few crickets in the top, and they should breed. :D and they'll eat the plants. (get crickets from like mmm or vvvv, their suter easy to breed, we do it all the time)

and if you go to a lake or something, you can catch natve triops and cyclops-shrimp, daphinia, etc, more food for the snail.

oohh! and i wonder if an amano shrimp would work? or would Heterandria formosa work?

http://www.petfish.net/het.htm

a very tiny live bearer.. i bet they would if you got some daphinia and other little culters going along with them

I was going to recomend crickets too, but I've never had luck with them lasting more than a week when I bought them for a toad I had over the summer. Anyways, they will eat anything...mostly veggies, dog biscuts etc. I discovered that they absolutely LOVE algea wafers! How are they going to get water tho? I put a fresh wet folded paper towel in every day for water. Water bowls won't work, they'll just drown in it. They are naturally supposed to get some water from the decaying plants, but thats not a lot and that too will be mowed and long gone very quickly. Maybe some rollie pollies? Keep them in moist dirt with decaying plants/veggies/banana peels/algea wafers etc. I think you might have better luck with those guys. If you can keep enough plants in there for O2, it would be best to keep the container sealed with a lid or ceram wrap to keep the dirt moist for them.

*Update*

I put in 6 shrimp and their doing great.

Only a couple of horror stories.

1. Some kids dropped their betta down the sink. How they did that, I don't know. It looks really hard to do, and I probaly couldn't do it even if I wanted to.

2. Some stupid girl bought two feeder goldfish and kept them in the bag overnight. One actually survived. Then she left the other one a little 1L bucket type thing, doused the bottom with food, and as he was dying said it was on its side beacause it was hungry. Her exuse, "They were only 26 cents."

Such a pity :stupid:

This is too disturbing for me to comment on... I am sorry you felt you had to comply... I think you do have enough to worry about without rocking the boat by being a "conscientious objector" - but what the he** is up with these assignments?! THere is something really wrong that you are being taught to kill!!!

I implore your school -Please teach these noble words instead!

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to mankind".

A. Schweitzer

Everything you guys have said is what I thought at first too. The teacher has made some models and said the fish, a betta, had been alive for three weeks (I don't really buy that). To me, it looked like all it had to eat was a mossball so I was surpised it was alive. It looked pretty healthy. B/c I have just been assigned the project, I only know a few things about it. Tommorow I will ask what the fish is eating.

From what you guys have said, if I put in anything at all, it would be just a few  ghost shrimp. I don't really want to make a huge fuss w/ the teacher, but you guys are right, this project is inhumane. I guess the teacher's look on the project is, "It's just a fish." :(

391610[/snapback]

it takes a betta 3 weeks to starve to death :(

I would want to call the humane society and ask them to evaluate this project for your teacher.. if that doesnt work.. i hate to say it, becouse i dislike them, but I would wanna call PETA... Atleast they could put an end to it... (even if their all backwards)

Pretty much what everyone else said-If you could call the ASPCA or some one who can help-I would NEVER do a project like that-Even if I make a 0(which I HATE)-I'd sneak him pellets everyone onc ein a while so he dosnt starve :( Mayby you should talk to your teacher-Good luck :(

Update on what happenes

• 3 weeks later...

*UPDATE*

Okay. Last Friday one of the parners in my group brought in a betta. I understand why he did it, it saved our grade (the shrimp didn't do so well.) Even so, I'm disapointed he did so without consulting the group first. :angry:

So now the project is over and I can take the fishie home.

So heres my question. What type of tank should I get for the betta? Should I get a bowl or what? The only tank I have right now is a 2.5 gallon. I have nothing for it though :( . What should I do? Also can I get any tank mates for him?

Please help!!!

Archived