Python In The Uk?

Incandisco

• 2 months later...

Ok Fishyfan,

So it was a while ago that I started this thread - but I finally took the plunge and ordered a Python from the store you suggested...

It arrived this week, and I ran into my first problem - that of connecting to a tap. The unit is screw threaded (with an adaptor) so it has to be connected to a tap with either an internal thread (like an aeriator) or external (like a garden tap). A quick trip to the local B&Q store sorted that problem - a washing machine tap adaptor allowed me to clamp to the tap, with a screw fitting on the bottom.

The Python is great - there is no other way of describing it. I bought a 25' version, although 50' is also available. It took 20% from my 75g tank in less than 5 mins. My only other problem is the water return to the tank - as at the moment, as you know, UK tap water is very cold (about 6 degrees centigrade) - due to the time of year. This means that you are putting EXTREMELY cold water back into the tank. I'm hoping to find something at another hardware store - like a shower attachment which will allow me to add mixed hot and cold water back into the tank.

But anyway - as long as you add the cold water SLOWLY, so that there is no sudden plunge in temperature - you should be OK.

All in all, I give my Python an 8/10 and advise you to get one if you have large tanks, or don't like lifting dozens of buckets of water.

I'll let you know if I manage to mix the hot & cold water together!

• Admin

I have one I cant use. :(

In my home the tanks sit lower than the sink its self so trying to drain the tanks the only way to do it is to run the water from the tap at the same time. Was of money for me :(

I would have loved it but this just didnt work for me.

My only other problem is the water return to the tank - as at the moment, as you know, UK tap water is very cold (about 6 degrees centigrade) - due to the time of year. This means that you are putting EXTREMELY cold water back into the tank.

Is something different about UK and US plumbing? In the US it is common for you to be able to run hot and/or cold water out of the same tap - is it different there?

Koko, I have to run the water continually for mine to work as well, as does everyone else I personally know who uses one. Until recently when someone mentioned that they shut the water off, I had never heard of anyone not running the water the entire time the tank was draining.

Get a submersible pump (with in-line capabilities), regular syphon, and a length of tubing for draining - you can still use your python to fill if you want (if I remember right you let your water sit out, but you could use it to fill the buckets). This is what I use most of the time to drain my tanks, I only use the python to fill. I used to use seperate python hoses for draining/filling, but then I figured it'd be nice to be able to water my nearby outdoor plants/bushes/trees with fishwater AND not have to run the water. If you don't have outdoor plants that need a good quenching or a yard to drain it out onto, you can just drain it into the toilet (or down the sink or bathtub drain if you're concerned about the water use from continual flushing).

Archived