Black Eye?

Guest ripnormie

Guest ripnormie

hi. i'm very new to the world of fish. i live in a dorm room and yesterday i became the proud owner of a calico fantail named ringo, thanks to the local nnnnnn. He has two different colored eyes, one "normal" (white with a black pupil) and one black, which also has a black pupil which i can make out. i was just wondering if there was something wrong with him, or if this is just a random mutation of some sort. he's had the black eye since i've had him. i'm sorry, but i don't have any information on nitrites or anything, but i did treat his water before placing him in the one gallon aquariam, i am feeding him flakes that i soak beforehand, a few flakes a day, and he has a filter and and air wand. also, ringo seems to spend most of him time swimming back and forth, shaking his head, and will frequently go to the suface and suck water. i'm not really sure if this is normal behavior, or if there might be something bothering him. sorry this is so long, i'm just worried about ringo. any help or advice you can give me will be very much appreciated. :newfish

I think it might be normal that his eyes are different colors like that, but I'm not 100% sure.

Did you say you have him in a 1 gallon? You might want to upgrade that to a 10 gallon as soon as you can. I'm in college too, so I know how the dorms are a lil tight and money is short( or is that just me? lol):/ but its very important that he gets himself a bigger tank. The small tank will stunt his growth and the water quality will go bad real quick.

For now, i'd say do daily water changes of about 50%, treating the water with dechlor each change.

The behavior you described seems very normal to me. As long as he isn't CONSTANTLY at the top gasping or violently flashing around the tank, I would say he is fine.

Another thing that you should buy is a water test kit, especially since he is in a small tank. You need to test. Everything will be much easier when you get a bigger tank:) Other than that, you are doing great! I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!

Guest ripnormie

yea, i've heard that about small tanks. i'm actually in a buildup room right now, so we have 3 girls in a room meant for 2, so i really can't get anything bigger for awhile. i was wondering, if he stays in the tank, and i change the water regularly, is there anything life threatening that could happen to him? also, i've always heard that goldfish will grow according to the size of their surroundings, and i was thinking that maybe he would just stay smaller. is that cruel? i really hate the idea of being mean to an innocent living creature, but at the same time i kind of take it as, he was living in a nnnnnn before, ya know?

I think the life span of your fish will be greatly reduced if you keep him in a one gallon, because of the stunted growth. It means his internal organs continue to grow and their body captivity does not. So eventually he will have internal problems which will lead to death.

Although, I have heard of people keeping their fish in a one gallon or so tank for a long while, I wouldn't have high expectations. I'd say a year or so max ( when they can live up to 20-30 years). I know all of this is hard being in a cramped dorm. Hmm, I'd say keep up the daily water changes for now and maybe you can keep him at your parents house? or a friend that lives in an apartment? Or if you will only be in the dorms for the next 6-12 months, maybe you can try your best with it and get lucky!

Definitely buy a test kit though, so you can make sure your ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Eventually your tank will cycle(if you haven't done that already) and ammonia and nitrites could get very high without you knowing. That is why test kits are very helpful. You can buy one that test for pH, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for 25 dollars or so.

Good luck and let me know what your plan is!

congrats on your new fish :)

and welcome to kokos!

ok the eyes sounds normal to me so far

but as others said 1 gal with 100% waterchanges a day MAY keep him alive

but I strongly sugest you get another tank

Basicaly he is gonna poop = amonia

this in 1 gal will rise to toxic levels within 12 hours! depending on your PH level

Honestly...you need to do waterchanges maybe twice a day in that tiny water. Its alot of work

If you can grab a 10 gal tank put the fish in there, then you need test kits

and also feel free to post in the water chemisrty part of the forum

there are many members there that have experience with water quality and cyling a tank

gday mate and :welcome

black eye is completely normal, especially with calico and albino fishes (but not telescope & celestials & bubble eyes as far as i know).

as the others has said, 1 gal is not enuff at all (imagine urself living in a 2 m x 2 m room with toilet in it). if u can't really get a 10-gal tank, then anything substantially bigger (i'm thinking at least 3-4 gal) is ok for now, but u still gotta get a bigger tank in a few months time.

as for now, change the water frequently, syphon out any waste, and keep a close eye on ur fish ;)

goldfish is a very hardy fish, but just like us, they'll live longer & happier if the environment is ideal.

welcome to the world of goldfish, mate! :lol: good luck!

Archived