My Ranchus Are Here!

onefish3

Oh I'm so excited!!! :krazy: About 45 min ago two ranchus, a black one with a yellow belly and a calico, got delivered to my house--finally!

Pics will come later; They're still in the bag. Wish me good luck guys and keep your fingers crossed. I've never had fish delivered before and the black ones fins are clamped. Am salting the tank. Any suggestions are welcome and needed! Oh I hope they make it!

Net's too small, have to get them out with my hands.... :scared

Congratulations on your new ranchu, they sound lovely!!

Pictures of course have to accomplish the whole thing later on! :lol:

When you get them out, make sure that none of the water in the bag enters your tank. Not only might it contain parasites and stuff, it is most likely also a bit full with ammonia from the transport. Never get "delivery water" and your tank water mixed together.

Where did the darlings come from?

They came from Massachusetts; I'll mention the dealer later just in case they turn out to be in worse shape than they look. And I am worried about the black one. They both spent the first five-ten minutes exploring the tank, going up to the top a lot to get air (I hope that's only because they've been in a bag overnight--I would want as much air as I could get too.) Now the black one is resting on the bottom, while the calico continues to swim around. He seems to be interested in eating my snail; poor Stan.

aaaahhhhh spider on the keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay gone now...I will be keeping an eye on the black one. He's slightly smaller than the calico, so maybe the trip was harder on him?

And I definitely didn't let any bag water get into my tank. (The water smelled like a live well on a boat! Is that normal?) I coated my hands in my dechlorinator which is also supposed to help slime coats for fish and picked them out of the bag with my hands. I also added about 15 mL of stress zyme, and a bag of Bio Spira that was meant for a 90 gal tank (all the lfs had). THe tank is cycled, but I worried that the ranchus would make the levels spike since I had only used danios to cycle it. Tank is salted at 1 tsp per gallon.

Last bit, just ran in there again and the black one is swimming again. YAY!

Once again suggestions Totally Welcome! :newfish

Guest d1greenfish

Just curious... how much did you pay for the fish and how much for shipping? I've been looking for a lionhead and a ranchu in my area for the last year and a half and it looks like imma have to order online. There was a guy in florida that has quoted me $75 for shipping alone :o . So i was just wondering what you had to pay. Thanks!

Hey, greenfish, it cost me about $65 just for shipping, so the guys quote sounds about right. It probably costs more because they have to be shipped overnight. The ranchus themselves cost about $59 each. I nice chunk of cash, but I don't think I'll have any regrets.

Yeah!!! :newfish CoNgRaTs!!!

Just give them a little time... see, it's already getting better! mainly b/c you provided such a great environment for them to acclimate to... PIX! PIX! PLS!

Can't wait to hear how they are doing! :)

Guest d1greenfish

Thanks for the info onefish3. It's good to have some point of referance for shipping. And since i'm in good ol' Colorado, those lil' fishies have to come a long way in one night. And keep us updated on your new fish!

Well here they are finally...PICs! Not the greatest since my camera is not the greatest, but who cares?

th_BothRanchus.jpg

That's my daughters reflection in the glass BTW. Just another example of my fine photography skills.

--Me puffed up with pride--- Thanks everybody! :D I love them already. They also seem be doing a lot better today; the black one hasn't sat on the bottom at all. They did, however, go a little nuts when I tried to feed them. They apparently did not notice the food coming down, but could smell it, so they started swimming after the danios, the snail, the plastic plants,... until they realized it was on the ground and started pecking away. I hope they have a better time tomorrow!

But more importantly, MORE PICS! Only two more of the ranchu though. The rest are of my other fish (which I decided to throw in since I have your attention) and a young fish-keeper with a lot to learn:

th_BlackRanchu.jpg

th_CalicoRanchu.jpg

th_Eli.jpg

th_Linus.jpg

th_Gideon.jpg

th_MauraFish.jpg

The three fantails are: Eli, Linus, and Gideon. The confused fish lover is my personal small fry Maura. I hope you like 'em! ^_^

Gosh, what beautiful fish, Onefish! :heart My favorite is the calico, but they are both wonderful - very nice quality too! :thumbup

And Maura is the eyes in the first picture as well? So adorable! :heart

Archived