Euathanasia

Dory

My poor baby has been battling this fungus/parasite for a few moths now, this morning when I checked on her she looked AWFUL!! she has an open red sore on her side, is extremely skinny and listless like she has given up. she can't hardly eat and she has long stringy poos, she just sits on her side on the bottom! I'm soooooo upset, because she was the first gf that I got that survived my ignorance of gf stage!! :cry1:cry1:krazy::scared:crying: And one of my other fish seems to have caught it too!! I don't know what to do!! I don't even know what this thing is!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Dory, have you put a post in the disease section? I would even PM toothless to see if he can help you in an emergency. He's great with that stuff.

I don't know what else to say but chin up... you are doing the best you can right now.

Dory,

I'm so sorry to hear about your fishies problems. I hope it all works out. Maybe you should post in the diagnosis section and they can help you out with your newly sick fish.

I don't know about euthanizing, I can't give advice b/c I am not sure what I would do in your situation. Good luck though and keep us posted.

Dory for sure post in the diagnosis section and be sure to fill in all answers to the question box at the top and then you will get the experts opinions and if anyone can advise you on your fish's condition, they can!

I'll be following your posts and hoping for the best for you :hug

Guest Bigphil

Oh what an awful descision to make, I really understand.

Of cause you need to do all you can to help and I'm sure you are. If however there is no hope for recovery then ending her suffering is the most loving thing you can do. Please please please! don't feel any guilt whatsoever if it comes to that, it really is the best for her.

I let one of my pets ( a rat) suffer terribly witth a tumor for months rather than have her put down. And that was shameful and selfish. I have learned by my mistake though and realize now that somettimes euphinasia is kinder.

Whatever happens let us know and good luck.

:cry1 As soon as I finished posting this I went back to the tank just in time to see her breathe her last. I'm sorry that she suffered, but i'm still glad I didn't have to make that decision. I feel like kicking myself very hard for not doing something sooner!! I knew she was a little sick, but I didn't think it was that bad so I ignored it until it got worse!! <_< And then it was too late to do anything!!!!RRRRRRRRRR!!!!

R.I.P Dart, my beautifull pure white comet with a bubbly personality.

I still can't believe she's gone.

My other fish, Lucky has caught it too!! I really don't even know what this thing is the symptoms point to internal parasite, but it looks like some kind of fungus. Lucky is clamping his fins has very long stringy white poo and Dart had that and was getting very skinny and had trouble eating in the end.I'm sure it's the same thing they both have/had. they both have/had this little white thing come up from under their skin(looked like a fungus)

I'm going to pm Toothless cuz I don't have time to post in diagnosis section(I'm going out of town tomoro and haven't packed yet!)

PS the params are just fine, maybe just a touch high on the nitrAtes

:cry1 As soon as I finished posting this I went back to the tank just in time to see her breathe her last. I'm sorry that she suffered, but i'm still glad I didn't have to make that decision. I feel like kicking myself very hard for not doing something sooner!! I knew she was a little sick, but I didn't think it was that bad so I ignored it until it got worse!! <_< And then it was too late to do anything!!!!RRRRRRRRRR!!!!

R.I.P Dart, my beautifull pure white comet with a bubbly personality.

I still can't believe she's gone.

My other fish, Lucky has caught it too!! I really don't even know what this thing is the symptoms point to internal parasite, but it looks like some kind of fungus. Lucky is clamping his fins has very long stringy white poo and Dart had that and was getting very skinny and had trouble eating in the end.I'm sure it's the same thing they both have/had. they both have/had this little white thing come up from under their skin(looked like a fungus)

I'm going to pm Toothless cuz I don't have time to post in diagnosis section(I'm going out of town tomoro and haven't packed yet!)

PS the params are just fine, maybe just a touch high on the nitrAtes

391217[/snapback]

I am so so sorry you lost her! :cry1

Ok now without knowing any history or water params... I am only guesing you have a bacterial prob

the fact that Lucky has stringy white poo sugests this, clamped fins, well he feel sick :(

as for fungus, some fungas look alikes can be mistaken for a fungus when in fact it can be bacterial (it looks like a fungus in apearence but its not)

I STRONGLY sugest you post in disease forum with as much info as possible so that someone can diagonise and hopefully save lucky too

I will pray for you and your fish!

again RIP im sorry you lost a fish :(

Oh! Dory! I am sorry! Dart is being welcomed by my Felix, and Sis, and Brunnetje! And all the other angels mentioned here! :heart

When you say,

I knew she was a little sick, but I didn't think it was that bad so I ignored it until it got worse!!  And then it was too late to do anything!!!!RRRRRRRRRR!!!!

Remember, it is so hard to tell what is going on! I don't think you ignored it! I think, like the rest of us, that you had to watch and wait... and it is very difficult to know what/when to do take treatment action...

It is a mercy, in a way, that Dart left before you had to make the agonizing decision about helping him along... He left with little suffering. He is at peace now.

Well, it takes some getting used to, their being gone, and we are all here for you! :heart

Guest FishLikeSequins

I'm sorry Dory! I just lost my first and only fish too, it's so awful to lose any kind of pet. So many think it's silly that we care so much about these little fish, they just can't understand!

Don't worry, you'll have a healthy tank and healthy fish again, it will all be alright. :heart

:heart Im so sorry to hear that, i and quite a few others have been thru this recently, but dont give up! just learn from your mistakes, i have! :heart

Have you moved Lucky to another tank or is he all alone anyway? make sure no cross contamination happens!

Lucky has a lucky name so im sure he will be lucky!

I'm going to bury her today before I go out of town, but I have to find the perfect place first.

Yes, Lucky I moved into a rubbermaid tub, now I'm just freverently hoping that the rest of my gf didn't catch it before I moved Lucky! *crosses fingers toes and eyes* before Dart died I added a med (to both the rubbermaid that lucky is in and the ten gallon tank dart was in)called parasite clear(it has praziquantel or however you spell that)that I hoped would work, do you think that could have contributed to her death, with her being so stressed out to start with? Anyway I used it on Lucky too and was wondering if I should continue using it?

ps, sorry guys that I haven't been able to put this in the disease section yet, but I will be able to in a few days!

Hi Dory. :)

Sorry you lost your goldie. :(

If one fish has died from whatever this is, and another one seems to have caught it, I believe you can consider your whole entire tank to be infected. The whole tank and all the fish in it are going to need to be treated.

Firstly, we DO need to deal with details. I know that your going out of town, but before you do, please go ahead and anser all of the questions from the red box. Be as specific as you can about ANY symptoms you see. flashing, scratching, pacing against the glass, corner frenzy, tailrot, finrot, red spots, white spots, rapid breathing.... anything.

Every little bit helps. ;)

Post back soon.

Paul

sorry it took so long I just got back! I will check the params as soon as I can! As for the other stuff: tank size 55 gallons(but the one that seems to be sick I put in a 18g rubbermaid) and has been running about 7-8 months, I usually change about 25% of the water in the 55 each week, but recently I had to move the tank so I did a really big water change, 2 fish and a small snail inthe 55 and just the one sick fish in the rubbermaid, no meds, a recent new fish but I qt'd him for a month and he was good and the fish were sick before I got him,currently feeding medigold, and I will have to post again later with the rest because I'm in a huge rush today! thanks!

Here's the rest! any unusual findings and or behaviors:I think dart and lucky both have/had the same thing so I'm just going to lump their problems together. Lucky was(I say was because he might be getting a teeny bit better!) having long stringy poos and laying on the bottom with his fins clamped, and he also has a suspicious lump right behind one of his gills which I think will pop open to reveal a little white thing (because that's what happened with dart.)that looks kinda like a fungus. Also just before dart died she had trouble eating, she would try to eat it and then immedetly spit it out again.

still working on the params!

Also Lucky is maybe just a teeny bit better; I haven't noticed him sitting on the bottom as much or clamping his fins(but then again this could just be because he's in a rubbermaid so I can't see him as well), maybe that's because I'm feeding him medigold? Are there any suggestions for some meds I can use on him?thanks!

So, is this the only fish you have? If there are others, they too can be considered to be infected and should be treated along with the sick one.

Can you describe everything that has to do with the visual symptoms?

Any scratching, flashing, rubbing on glass, ornaments or gravel?

Rapid fin shaking?

Please describe the lump and pus and all that you mentioned above. Be very specific.

Good luck and post back soon.

Paul

yes, I do have more fish and have been feeding them all medigold just in case, though there are no visual symptoms. Lucky is not doing any of the things you mentioned, but what do you mean by rapid fin shaking? the lump by lucky's gill seems to be going down, but what I saw on dart was first a small lump would appear then get bigger and bigger until it burst open to reveal a little white thing a little bit bigger than the size of the head of a pin(I wouldn't exactly call it cottony though, so I don't know how to describe it.) I think it would be bigger on Lucky though, because bigger fish, bigger lump. and then after a few days the pus thing would fall off leaving a few scales missing and a sore spot.

I am going out of town for a bit, so I am not sure if I can use a computer where I am headed, so if I don't answer posts for a bit that's why! thanks!

Hmmm, its really beginning to sound like your fish are suffering from a sporozoan infection. They are like really small parasites but act more like a bacterial infection that erupts from the inside out.

There is no cure for what I described above. However, with excellent water quality and care, it can possibly be put into a type of "remission" where the fish still have it but it doesnt surface or show up. Basically, you have to keep them in tip top health so that they can fight it themselves. Heres a couple of links to what I think this might be:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=31693

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=34690

I really hope I am wrong...... :unsure:

Dory,

I do hope that Lucky lives up to his name! Perhaps it is bacterial and the medi-gold will be effective. I would advise separating the fish with symptoms from those without symptoms if you can, because if it is sporazoan the eruptions are the spores and are what infect the other fish. (just in case they are not all infected) But I would definitely feed them all medi-gold for 30-60 days.

Best wishes! :heart

Becky

Dory I so hope this isn't the same :(

Do your fish look like the pictures of mine and Becky's?

If so, even if they aren't showing signs of infection now, I believe Becky and I were both advised that they would be carriers of the disease and so you could never put another fish in with them.

I hope when you look at our pics you can say for sure this isn't what your fish have. :hug

Yes, what Kim said. Even if you separate them, the fish without symptoms would still be considered carriers and must be kept isolated.

I think Medi-gold is the best way to get anti-biotics into a fish (unless you can inject them). So, as long as they are eating I don't think treating the water with anti-biotics is necessary.

It is scary and I really hope that your fish do not have this. Feed them medi-gold, perhaps raise the heat and hope for the best. :grouphug

I had seven fish at the beginning of the summer, three have died, two have symptoms but seem to be ok for now, and two have not shown any symptoms. So there is hope that not everyone has to die.

Archived