New To Goldfish Keeping

Guest Elfdaughter

Guest Elfdaughter

OK, I've got my new goldfish settled into his new home, with filter, airator, live plant and gravel. I have a very small tank, but a very small goldfish - approximately 5cm long. My tank is 20 x 13 x 13.

I used to own goldfish many years ago - but they were in a goldfish bowl, with no filter and no airator, I changed the water every week, fed them each morning, and that was it!!

I have Supa Ant Eggs which I am using to feed my goldfish - he hasn't eaten any yet, but then again, I only brought him home 3 hours ago - are the eggs OK, or should I be using flakes? If flakes, can anyone say which would be the best to use for such a small fish?

Also, is there anything else I need to get?

HI and welcome to the site.

I am not sure how big your tank is, but it needs to be 10 gal of water at least to keep them happy and healthy. Hopefully you can take a look around and learn alot about how to care for them.

Next I am not sure about the ant eggs, I would go with a food made for gf. They can eat veggies and some fruits but I am not sure with the food you have.

I will let you know that you soad any food for a few minutes so that it has time to expand and does not float. Floating food is bad for gf, they can get a condition called Swim bladder disease (sbd) and floating food can aggravate that.

I would soad them for 3-5 minutes. Make sure when you put them in they sink.

Good luck, take a look around the site. There is tons of info here and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

The ant eggs should be a wonderful protien treat for the goldfish. It is a good goldie food. However, as Laurie has stated - variety is the spice of a goldfish's life!

WElcome to the wonderful world of goldfish! :)

Archived