Another Dead One...

Guest ojman873

Guest ojman873
:cry1 So the second of my 3 relatively-long lived fishies has passed on. I moved to college 2 weeks ago and the parentals said that my blind, white comet died on Monday 26 August, precisely 14 months and 20 days after my beautiful gold comet with huge fins suddenly collapsed and died. o well. i guess the time comes for all of our fish. What's weird about my blind one is that it seemed like the eye fell out. I remember one eye first and then the other became clouded a couple of years ago. I tried melafix and other germ fighters, but to no avail, so I concluded that it wa a cataract (was i correct?). Recently, the cataracts both seemed to fall out. What do you think? Could that happen? O well.

ojman873

I am soooo sorry for your loss :(

As for the eye...I have not had experience with that personally so Id hesitate to say.

Again Im very sorry for your loss :( I hope your remaing fish is ok

If you need advice or help...please do not hesitate to post and ask

Everyone here will do their best to help.

Guest ojman873

I've had them since June 19, 1995 (or 1996...I can't quite remember...)

Strange thing is that I never kept them in ideal conditions. They started out when I was only an elementary student, and my family and I were very ignorant about fishkeeping...we had 5 comets and commons in a 2 gallon tank. Two died off very soon, but the other three did not. In 1998, we finally upgraded to a 5 gallon (both were hex shaped). In 2001, we further upgraded to the current standard rectangle 10 gallon. One fish (whom I thought the healthiest) suddenly died on June 6, 2004. Another (whom I felt to be the weakest) died on August 26, 2005. The last one now swims around alone...finally getting the space many books and people recommend for a comet goldie...10 gallons to itself.

Before I really started to look into proper goldfish care in 2002, we had subjected these fine goldies to such cruel acts as changing 100% of the tank water after all of it was clouded with filth and walls full of fresh, green algae (thus having to transfer the fish to another container). Later, we learned that was not the best way to take care of fish...so we resorted to the more appropriate method (change less than 40% of water more often than we did). More recently, before I discovered the beauty of testing water parameters, nitrite levels would occasionally reach unpleasant levels, leading to "bloody" fins.

Soon enough though, with a healthy amount of research and interest, going to the local library, checking out websites such as Koko's and others, and even renting videos about fishkeeping and particularly goldfish keeping led me to more "humane" methods of treating my fish. For instance, the 10 gallon tank was the first one with a filter (the others had only aeration). I learned to change it regularly, and occasionally even replace the filter elements. I learned to check water parameters often (though that's hardly necessary since the system is just so darn stable) and change the water often. I learned to feed them a variety of foods (flakes, pellets, color enhancers, freeze-dried treats, peas, [carrots perhaps], and grapes). Nevertheless, I could never figure out how to siphon the gravel though...maybe I'll learn that next. Regardless, even though as people read through this post, they may perceive me to be a devoted fish cruelizing machine, I think that although my ignorance was not good, it allowed me to see how to do things correctly, or at least better.

So, as I've said before, these fishies of mine have lived through quite a lot--good times, bad times, and I hope they rest in peace in my freezer.

Im sorry about your loss... the cateract thing sounds like cloudy-eye, a bacterial infection, that got alittle out of controle, resulting in the loss of the eye...

unfortuenently, when we start them off bad, they just dont live as long as they should... many of us are learning that the hard way :(

Guest ojman873

Yes Ma'am...flushing themdown the toilet didn't seem appropriate. As for burying them... i dunno, i just thought freezing would be cool, ya know preserving them n'all.

Archived