Setting Up Another Tank

Guest Fancy_Bubbles

Guest Fancy_Bubbles

I'm interested in upgrading from a 29g to a 46g tank. I have 1 calico lionhead and 1 black and red oranda in there right now with two ghost shrimp (that haven't been eaten yet), and of course I can't forget Sally the snail :D

I have the Penguin 350 and want to get another HOB filter, but I'm not quite sure how powerful the second one should be to make sure my fishies are happy. I'm thinking of another Penguin or an Emporer, but should it be a

200 gph or 170 or something else?

BTW, you guys are awsome! I've learned so much from all of you already, and looking forward to learning more!

Guest Fancy_Bubbles

Thanks. So would the Penguin 350 and the Penguin 170 be too much for that size of a tank? I'm pretty new to the goldfish world. I've only had mine up and running for about 7 months now... But I love it!

By the way, cute picture of your goldies!

I think those 2 filters will be great on that size tank. I have a 37 gallon with a 250 gph HOB and a canister filter with an outflow of 250 (the outflow on that is adjustable so I did turn it down a touch). If the 2 filters seem to produce too much current for your goldies you can always put a plant or other type of decoration in the tank to make sure there are a couple of spots in the tank with less current (where they can rest). But I don't even think you'll ahve that problem anyway. That filtration will be great for your goldies!!

Happy upgrading--how fun!

:) Hi,The recommended amount of filtration, is 10x's the size of your tank. 46 gals. x 10=460 gph(gallons filtered per hour) With your tank size and the chance that you could add more fish,I'd probably go with the bigger size.My 75 gal.,has a total filtration of 900 gph.All my fish seem to do fine with that.Most of the nicer filter's have an adjustment knob if you think it's flowing to fast.Much better to go bigger than to find out the one you get isn't quite doing what you hoped. ;)

Guest Fancy_Bubbles

Thanks for the great info. Whew, I feel so much better now!!! The place where my new tank will be located could only fit a 50 gallon... max. But now that I know about the proper filtration, and what to get, I could sit back and relax... and fantasize about the newcoming home for my goldies... tee hee. I feel like a little school girl. I can't wait!

Archived