Ponds In Cold Climates....

gialeigh

We are probably going to settle in West Virginia once we get out of the army. I REALLY want to have a huge spectacular pond once we get our house. For the people who live in colder states...do you have ponds and if so what kind of care needs to be taken during the winter?

Do many people who live in colder states have ponds or is it too much hassel?

I've heard of people on this site bringing in their fish over winter, keeping them in tubs and all. You'd probably have to do that, but I have never had a pond. Maybe someone else with more experience could fill you in more? Someone who doesn't live in the subtropics?

I live in Illinois - up near Chicago. It gets to 25 below zero here in some years. There are a large number of people who have outdoor ponds. The club that I belong to consists of several hundred members - of which only ONE has an indoor setup. (His makes me green with envy!). They almost, without exception, winter their fish outdoors all winter.

Not being a pond person, I could not tell you all the tricks, but there are many things that can be done to keep your fish alive. The water is heated to a degree, and aerated, the fish are not fed and they go domant for the duration. I have heard that in bad years, there are substantial losses - and even in good years, there is a percentage of losses that are to be expected. Additionally, during the time of dormancy, the fish cease to grow, and are dramatically slowed in their life cycles - they cannot match the growth rate or quality of growth that you will see in fish that have a temperate climate all year round. But, with careful management, there are certainly those who have the most spectacular fish and ponds I have ever seen.

With study and care, I suspect you should be able to do the same.

Archived