How Many Snails Is Too Many In A Ten Gall?

Maceo

I have a mystery snail, a marble snail (I gave one to my brother) and a snail that I have no idea what he is (ill get a pic. up soon as i can) with my betta in a ten gallon and I really would like another apple snail but do I have room? my mystery snail is about the size of a quarter and a half and the marble snail is little like a penny and so is the other guy but lord only knows how big marble snails can get so any thoughts on my space?

The Marbles are the Nerites.. did you figure that out or is that my conclusion?

I'd say go for it. I think you definitely have room.

The rule of thumb supposedly is 2.5 gallons/snail, but I have 10 adult Insularums/Canas/Salton Sea snails in a 10 gallon.. and all of their babies. No problems yet. You just need to have good filtration; it's not like snails need room to excersize like a dog does or anything.

So this new snail, is the shape of his shell like your mystery snail's? Mystery snails are a common sold-under name for the species Pomacea bridgesii, which is often abbreviated as Brig or Brid or Bridg, depending on the person. Occasionally Canas are sold as Mystery snails but not as often.

Pics would be great!

:) My snails actually get quite alot of exercise. They run all over the tank.The main thing to remember is water quality.People have kept more snails than that in ten gals.,and have done fine,but as mentioned,it does take a very good filter,lots of aeration,and major water changes as you add on to your group.Snails are very sensitive to poor water quality,just as fish are ,and can be the first ones you lose when there are problems. :) One of my ten gal. tanks house alot of snails,but I keep an Aqua 150 on it,and I also change out 50% water twice a week.

Archived