One Fin

Guest happydibstick

Guest happydibstick

I just found this discussion board, and was learning about breeding my new orandas. I then tried to sex my red and white oranda and found that by the anal hole he/she only has one fin. All my other fish have two fins there so I am just wondering if it is a mutation thing or if it is normal on certain fish. By the way I still can't tell the sex. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Julile

hold old are your fish? They may be too young to tell yet. When they get older you will be able to tell better. I still cant tell what mine are. THey are all about 1.5 inches, not sure of the age though. I know they are babies still.

I have a fantail with only one anal fin and yes some fish are just born with a few undesirable traits. My fantail is one crazy looking fish too. Besides the one anal fin, he is a very weird color. He is silver on bottom and the top half looks like a combination between orange and brown...actually it makes him look purple most of the time. I named him Mutt because that's what he looks like to me lol!

Guest happydibstick

I definitely don't think of it as a flaw. I love my oranda. I call him/her fat head. I would add a photo but I haven't figured out how yet.

Guest happydibstick

well, he is pretty old I think, at least a few years. He is about 4.5 inches. I know about having the so called ugly fish. I have a thing for the "retarded" fish. I call them that because they have something wrong with them, but it makes them so much more special.

:welcome

Your fish may not be old enough to sex. Do you mean it's body without the tail is 4-5 inches or with the tail it is 4-5 inches?

Oh, and if it's not old enough to sex, it's not old enough to breed. (I think.)

Guest happydibstick

Well, I have the two orandas that I bought at the same time. They are almost 5 inches with the tail. The other I did sex, but with fathead it's hard to tell because of how his/her tail is. It's in the center of its body instead of to the side, and fathead follows me around the tank so it's hard to get a look.

Since you asked if the size includes fatheads tail, does that mean that he can get to be 5 inches with just his body?

According to this website they can get up to 8 inches. Im not sure if they mean with or without the tail..but I think it means 8 inches without the tail...please correct me if Im wrong...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=957

Guest happydibstick

I had thought that it includes the tail, but I sure would love it if they got that big. I can't say I have ever seen any that big.

Oh yeah I thought I said anal fin earlier. I think I mentioned it above. Lol. I cant remember. But yeah, he only has one anal fin and you cant really tell that from the photo. I just wanted to share a pic of the fishy I was talking about. I was relating with happydibstick because hers only has one anal fin too...at least I think that is what she is talking about...

Guest happydibstick

well, Since mine only has one anal fin and i love it, and two of you each have a fishy with one anal fin that you love, maybe there is just something special about them.

Guest happydibstick

I took another look at fathead today and I think I have come to the conclusion that he is a boy. It is so hard to tell because of his one fin. His anal hole is right in front of the fin, so I don't know if that is where it is just because the fin makes in impossible to have it anywhere else, or if that is where it was meant to be.

Archived