Weird Nitrite Spike

littleone78

OK, I am having a hard time figuring out what is going on with my nitrItes.

I have a 10 gallon tank, with 1 goldie (about 2 inches w/tail), with a Whisper 30 filter and a Top Fin 10 filter. The filter bags are about 4 weeks old and I recently replaced the carbon in both (I use AmmoCarb). I rinsed the bags in used tank water on Sunday.

My nitrIte readings have been steady at 2.0 for the last 3 days. Here is a recap of my readings for the last week.

8/25 (cloudy water) Changed 5.5 gallons - water cleared

pH - 7.2

Ammonia - 0.5

NitrAte - 5

NitrIte - 0

9/1

Changed 2 gallons, didn't test water.

9/4 - changed 3 gallons

pH - 7.2

Ammonia - 0.25

NitrAte - 10

NitrIte - 2

Added 2 tablespoons of salt

9/5

NitrIte - 2

Changed 4 gallons

NitrIte - 2 (still!!)

9/6

NitrIte - 2

Changed 4 gallons

NitrIte - 2 (still!!)

pH - 7.0

Ammonia - 0 - 0.25

NitrAte - 10

Noticed black poop - the gel food I gave him for dinner is a dark brown color, not quite black, so maybe this is OK.

What else can I do? The water changes don't seem to be helping. He is acting totally normal, but I want to get this taken care of before is starts bothering him.

Thanks!

Now please forgive me if I have this wrong and I am sure someone else will speak up...but... I think now you are over salting. Not that that has anything to do with the spike. But if you do a 50% water change don't you only have to ad 50% of the salt back. So 1 tbls per 5 gallonsand that would be 2 tbls spoons for the 10 which you did. But if you only took out some water your some of your salt is there yet. Now this is where I drop off but... if you change 25% of the water then put 25% of salt back in would that be 1/2 tablespoon I assume. At 39 I am lucky my brain functions at all. :crp Maybe if you are interested do a search on aquarium salt, I just read the posting a couple days ago.

Lori

Hmm... OK, lets think... so, its 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons to get to 0.1% salinity.

So, I added 2 table, removed 1, added two - so that puts me at 3 tablespoons or 0.15%

Then I took out 1.5 and added 2, so that puts me at 3.5 tablespoons or 0.25%

So at 0.25%, I think I am OK.

Looked at a similar thread, guess I will just keep up with the 40% water changes for a few more days and keep my fingers crossed. I really thought I was done cycling since I saw no nitrItes for a while and even had some nitrates.... but, still no matter what I do, my ammonia reading is never 0, always either 0.25 or 0.5. My tap is at 0.5, I use Amquel+ to treat it, is that why I will always get an ammonia reading?

Ok I am going to venture out on a limb again and hope not to get shot...but...

I remember reading that even though ammonia binders render the ammonia harmless in a sense it is still there so tests will still read it. I did read on a post that maybe there are different kinds of tests you can get that don't read the bond ammonia. But that part I am not exactly sure about.

Lori

Your partial water changes are adding ammonia. plus the ammocarb will release ammonia it's sucked up with salt in the water. Are you using a 2 bottle ammonia test?

as of 9/6, based on your salt additions and water changes, I think your salt level is .15%. Given the ammonia in your tap water, I'd just leave it there and do a weekly partial water change unless your goldie acts antsy.

OK, now my nitrite readings are at 2.0 and after a 40% water change they go down to 0.5. But, the next day they are back at 2.0

I am using a 2 bottle ammonia test. Is the Amquel + bad? Should I stick with it? Should I stop using the Ammocarb and just use regular carbon?

I think the nitrites are starting to get to him, I notice him spending a lot more time up top when I get home at night. After I change the water, he starts zipping around the tank and playing like he normally does.

How much longer do you think it will take before the nitrites go back to 0?

Amquel+ is fine. I'd lose the ammocarb.

You can do partial water changes to lower nitrIte, just be sure and use amquel to detox the resulting ammonia and maintaining the salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon will help protect against nitrIte poisoning. Plenty of surface agitation would also be good.

I'd guess it usually takes around 3 weeks for the nitrIte eaters to get up to speed.

Oy! OK... Wow, I thought I was doing something good with the AmmoCarb.. now I have an entire container that is completely useless....

Well, he is doing alright, spending a little more time on the top than normal. He found a way in increase the surface agitation all on his own... he moved his 6" air stone to be directly underneath the smaller of the two filters. Now there are giant air bubbles all over the tank. And people say fish are dumb!!

I shall continue with the daily 40% water changes and keep my fingers crossed... hopefully you are right, Betty, and getting rid of the ammocarb will help me out.

Thanks!!!!!

Archived