Now I Know Why

magickzzl

got my heart crushed today the the local fish place... asked him if they ever get Cana's in, and he told me all applesnails over a certain size are illegal in california... :( darn.. have to stick with my little briggs

If its illegal to have them shipped over a certain size, then have it shipped while it is little. ;) No one is going to go looking for one at your house, they have better things to do. So I say get one online. There are plenty of people on here that would be willing to mail you one. :D

lol, you guys are so bad.

Sorry I worded that wrong. Applesnails that get to be certain sizes and of certain appatites arnt allowed. So like the lawnmower snails are a no no, but my briggs are a yes.

maybe the big fish store sells them downtown... they sell king paranahs and baby turtles, which are also illegal! :D

Guest Chishower

Actually, thats a good law. Canas got loose down here, and they already destroyed a 13.7 acre lake - not a thread of plant life left. There is no real way to stop them, either. We cant poison them or anything because of the native apple snail species...

They are still legal, though! Maybe I will build a 2000 gallon tub, and people can catch them and bring them over, and I can feed them cucumbers! Mua hahahahah! :krazy:

There is no real way to stop them, either.

Yes there is--they could make it legal to wild-collect mollusks and there would be a mass migration of applesnailers over there LOL. Then you'd have a population of invasive homo snailerii, which could either be better or worse depending on how many tanks they could get a hold of.

Just to note, there are also the "Salton Sea" apple snails down there that have their own species thing going on. Not sure if they overlap in range with canaliculata or not. They are not really in the store-based pet trade, but online there are several folks breeding and shipping them.

well there ya go magic, go down to that lake and take your pick. :)

i guess that's true, there's prolly good reasons behind most of their pet laws. i've just heard a LOT of pet laws coming out of Cali; for instance i couldn't move there w/ my ferret.

what happens to the illegal exotics if they're found though?

well there ya go magic, go down to that lake and take your pick.  :)  

i guess that's true, there's prolly good reasons behind most of their pet laws.  i've just heard a LOT of pet laws coming out of Cali; for instance i couldn't move there w/ my ferret. 

what happens to the illegal exotics if they're found though?

392278[/snapback]

They get siezed. and I have heard, destroyed, but I also heard, sent to rescues out of state.. dont know for sure...

Didnt you know California has one of the biggest ferret clubs in the nation? 1/2 of the people I work with own ferrets or gerbils.. both of which are illegal...

and the only reason that ferrets are still illegal, is that no one will do an enviromentle impact report on them... lazy a** polititions!

Yes, we have strange pet laws... but we have had problems, like flesh eating fish in swimming holes, kids swollowing baby red-eared sliders (why baby aquatic turtles under 4" are illegal), and loads of other strange things...

yea, i know there are a ton of ferret owners in california, i just wouldn't want to risk it being taken from me. i'm sure the cops don't run around looking for illegal exotics though, do they?

someone told me that the whole ferret thing started because one killed a baby a while back.

i agree some regulation is necessary though, there are people that will import some of the craziest stuff and think they can keep it as pets; then release it in the wild when it doesn't work out the way they had hoped. i guess it's more when the law is unexplained. like there's a good reason for the snail law, but when you just hear that you can't have large snails in your tank, it sounds kinda silly.

I dont know about the baby thing... And I havnt met anyone who has had a ferret seized, who wasnt a collector. (we had a crazy lady who had something like 200 hamsters and loads of other animals who used to shop at our store till the neightbors turned her in... she's the only person I have ever heard of having a illegal exotics seized)

like I said, most of the people I work with have illegals... no probs there... but like you said, is it worth the risk.

Archived