What Do You Need For A Pond?

Guest Girl Nerd

Hi :)

First, you need the pond, then you need the filter to keep the pondwater free of ammonia and nitrItes, then you need the fish. Everything else is considered extra, much like fishtanks.

Truthfully, it would help if you knew the gallonage, or the space (length X width X depth) that you wanted a pond for, then we could suggest a few different things. Stuff like pre-formed ponds, how many fish and what type you could keep in it, all the way down to making your own filters to keep it affordable...... ;)

I can tell you that you wont be able to set-up a good pond, 50 gallons or more, for less than 100 bucks (US). If you wanted something in the realm of 100-300 gallons, your talking 200 bucks minimum. But, I am a very crafty person and have tons of cheap, shortcuts that help a lot.

Paul

Guest Girl Nerd

Thanx Paul.

Well this pond is my school's and they dont have anything and wanted me to put together a list of what they should get. And supposedly it's about 300L.

Thanx again, Girl Nerd

Hmm...A filter is MUCH needed and thats pretty much basic-You'll need enough filters to fill the whole 300 liters or so-100GPH for each 10 gallons.Test kits to test the water and a dechlorinator,fish food(feed them atleast once a day)And not have people through garbage into it would help ALOT as well ^_^,And cleaing it more than once a year would help.I'm glad your schools trying to do something :)

thats all I can give-Paul will be able to help alot though :)

Good luck and make sure to tell us how the schools doing with the pond ;)

300 liters is approximately 80 gallons (US).

So, this pond would need either a simple filtration unit that pushes very close to 300 gallons per hour. OR, if a really good pondfilter that has a large bio-media chamber/area, then you could go with a little less filtration. But, that depends on a few other things as well.

I think I am going to move this over to the pond forum so that you may recieve some very helpful advice. There, you will be able to get yourself a good list of things that will be needed.

Good luck and keep us posted on everything!

Paul

Guest Girl Nerd

With the state the pond is in now, do you think that i should start a survey to try to get rid of the pond? The school dosn't look after it and i dont think they're going to even consided a filter! Nor feeding them! I dont mind feeding them, cleaning them out 1 a term but what happens when i go? What do you think i should do?

Girl Nerd :unsure:

IMHO, the pond at 80 g's isn't really enough to keep even 2 pond comets in safely. I'm leaning to the fact that if the school doesn't want to take proper care, then perhaps doing away would be best. Risky at best to keep it going..... but if you decide to, best possible scenario would be to just have a water garden and no fish..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived