One Fry In Bowl

Guest alique89

Guest alique89

I have a small problem iwth one fry. i found it in my pound just swimming for its life. so i caught it and bought it in a fish bowl. it's no bigger then a centameter and a half, or around an inch. well i put some algea in the bottom of the powl and a few plants. will he live still with this or will i have to get a filter. or air rocks.

Hi Alique, and :welcome !

Well, lets see what we can do for your little fry...

A bowl is good for now, although the water needs to be perfect, and fry are very sensitive little things. A filter isn't needed at the moment, it would be way too strong for the fry to swim against, and it can get sucked in and die. But if you can find a simple little sponge filter in the pet store, that'll do it. Its nothing but a specially designed sponge attached to an airpump via airline, thats all. It isn't too strong for the fish, and takes care of the oxygen supply as well.

With the fry being 1 1/2 cm, it will eat the algae and tiny particles from the plants, but it needs extra food as well. You can do something simple like cooked egg yolk, crumbled in tiny little pieces. Be careful with that one though - egg yolk is rather messy, and with just one litte fish in it, the water can polute easily.

You also can try crushing flakes to almost dust particles, that'll work too. Or frozen brine shrimp eggs in the frozen food section at the pet store. Again, its just one small fry, and all he needs is a tiny bit to eat a few times a day.

I would have a 3 gl bucket sitting around with water and conditioner in it, so you can perform water changes. Very small ones only, and try to vaccuum off any uneaten food from the bottom of the bowl with a piece of airline tubing, so the fish doesn't get sucked in.

Just remember - one little fry doesn't need a huge amount of food, and anything that lands in the bowl and he doesn't eat, will polute the water. Its important that the water doesn't have any ammonia and nitrites, so watching how much you feed and testing the water every day is the most valid thing for the little guy.

Good luck, and keep us updated! :)

Guest alique89

thanks!! I'm also trying to get my 10-20 gal. tank ready so for its bothers and sisters can use. but they are way bigger like 3-4cm long and a big bucket for my other gold fish which are around 10 cm long. but right now they are all liveing in a 3000meter3 pond.

• 3 months later...
Guest alique89

hi every one and i like to say that i got the fry nersed to health but a week ago it die.

It was an inch and weighed 10 grams

sorry i'm a metric person so i don't know how many pound or what ever to use. :rip:

Archived