Just Curious

Guest shygirl0787

Guest shygirl0787

I was looking around and pricing a few items at the local vvvv and I couldn't help looking at the different fish. While I was looking at the goldfish, I realized that I could tell a difference in the varieties of fish (thanks to this website) and I was wondering about the lionheads. They seem really cute in pictures on the site but not so much in the store. Were they just babies that don't have their face growth yet, or are they another type of fish without a dorsal fin?

I think the above poster is correct in stating that you are most likely seeing youngsters, before they develop much wen. However, one of the main reasons many fish are in a LFS for sale is that they are not wanted for breeding or showing or whatever by their breeders. You will often see fish that are crosses between two or more breeds, fish that represent less that "perfect" examples of their breed, and fish that really resemble no particular breed. The lack of a wen or the lack of a large wen, or an overgrown wen are all rather common things seen.

This does not mean that these fish are not perfectly beautiful, fantastic companions for your fish tank. They just may not ever look like the pictures you see in the books. Most people have not even seen fish like the ones in the books. They are the "ideal".

The youngsters in the store may or may not ever develop the large, heavy wens of a lionhead. They may or may not even demonstrate the pretty cheeks of the ranchu. They, also, may fool you completely and grow a perfectly awesome wen in the future. :idont:)

Yes..it depends on where you go too and who the supplier is how nice the fish are. The nnnnnn I go to usually does not have very beautiful fish. Their backs are crooked, their tails and weird, and they just dont look like the breed is supposed to. However...I found two of the cutest lionheads EVER there! I love them to death they are sooo cute! Maybe you just saw a bad batch? Maybe the pet store pays a really low price for thier fish and in return recieves a lower quality product. I know that is how nnnnnn is, but I have found such beautiful fish there. I wasnt too sure about lionheads either when I saw them in the tank at nnnnnn. But I wanted to try one...so I looked in the tank, and 20 minutes later I found the cutest little thing swimming around with all the others. He is a very pretty lionhead and he swims a lot better than I thought a lionhead would! His name is Jellybean, and he is just one of my favs. My other lionhead is Nugget. He is gold with a strange grey overcast. He just sparkles like a jewel when he swims. He reminded me of a chunk of gold, so that is how he got his name.

I love lionheads. Even without the wen!

yeah i agree with everyone else. pet store fish is not perfect, rather they're all the runts of the litter, but sometimes there's one or two that might grow to breeder quality even show quality fishes ;)

Archived