How Disturbing

siansy

Hi all,

I had a very disturbing experience today at my local aquarium. I went in to buy a new filter for the new tank and as I always do whatever I'm buying went to the back where the fancies are to admire them.

The tanks were all fully stocked , actually looked very over stocked with loads of new fish.

In one tank were at least 20 pearl scales( these were medium sized ones) and one was on the floor on its side , fins not really moving but it was gasping.

I had a quick look into the other tanks and the were a few more looking very distressed.

I rushed back to the counter and told the assistant. He didn't seem bothered so I explained my concerns . I was told these fish has only arrived an hour ago flown over from Hong Kong ( i live on the outskirts of london)and this was quite normal he would have a look at them later.

This was so upsetting and I felt quite sick. I had not really thought before about the transportation aspect and the incredible stress they all must go through when being moved to another country. I think in my ignorance I though they were breed here in England. Now being an animal and fish lover ( im vegetarian) I actually feel very guilty unsure why and am even more determined to give my boys Pablo and Dylan the great home they deserve.

unfortunetly, shipping is very hard on fish. but even if you buy loaly grown, they still have to be shipped to the store, or from the breeders to your own house. :( its one of the harsher parts of goldie experiance....

I had a similar experience. I saw a tank with nothing but small 'feeder' goldies all laying on the bottom gasping. The clerk told me the same thing, they'd just arrived and would be ok in a few hours. It was such a sad sight! :crp

Eep, that's really sad...

At the local pet store, I saw a crammed tank with little rosies, and there were 3 skeletons on the bottom of the tank of dead rosies. I'm guessing the other ones just kept sucking and eating away at the dead fish until they were only bones... :ignore

Hi all,

It is an experience I would rather not see again but the temptation to gaze at all the fish I can't have is too much. Still thought about that poor pearly last night. Hope he gets better but he did look in a bad way. I though the aquarium might have QT the newies first but they were all thrown in together. They have some beautiful blue fantails have have been visiting( would love one but can't put another fish in with my two - they are bullies) There were a load of newies put in with them.

I might visit again later to see how they are all doing.

Cheers

Sian

Archived