What Color Would I Get?

magickzzl

If I remember correctly, gold is recessive so you'd most likely get Wild Types (aka "wilds"), which are called "black" a lot. And yes, different colours interbreed if they are the same species and opposite sexes - it's like different coloured dogs, really. I like my dog analogies. :)

Donya has a really good colour generator-thing.. let me see if I can find it for you.

Edit: Donya's site is down but I found the calculator thing in my computer still. Since I don't have your snails, I can't put the exact thing down, but I put down for Parent 1: "Gold, shell base colour, no stripes, light body." Parent 2: "Wild, shell base colour (since you said it was black), stripes, dark body." The calculator says the potential offspring are Wild. If you don't think my search.. things are quite right, let me know and I can redo it.

Donya's site is down but I found the calculator thing in my computer still. (...) The calculator says the potential offspring are Wild.

Only? Wild is most likely, but it should have posted other colors as well. Try using this one:

http://www.angelfire.com/va/myevolution/sn...color_cross.htm

Unfortunately the applet isn't working for me right now (not sure why) but I havn't touched it and it worked last monnth :angry: I am having java runtime issues with internet explorer and my firewall. Anyway, the list should be a lot more than just Wild.

This is what I got (not in order of probability btw) when I plugged a gold/wild cross into my standalone java program:

Possible offspring colors:

1. Wild

2. Olive

3. Dark_Burgundy

4. Burgundy

5. Striped_Yellow

6. Jade

7. Red-Brown

8. DSP

9. Blue

10. Golden

11. Red-White

12. DSP-CSB

13. Striped_Purple

14. Dark_Plain_Purple

15. LSP

16. Plain_Purple

17. Ivory

Out of that, 1, 5, 6, and 10 are probably most likely.

Wow Donya, really? Well I couldn't find your site anywhere online so I found it on my computer. Of course, maybe I didn't say exactly the right things, but Wild is the only colour it said.

Of course, Brigs aren't hermaphrodites, so you will need one of the snails to be female and one to be male to get any colour babies at all. :)

People were getting viruses from the server...when there wasn't much site traffic, hostultra was nice about add banners and the like, but after it hit a certain peak traffic per day hostultra started spaming the viewers with tons of stuff. So...the whole site got ripped offline until I can find a server that isn't giving people spyware and trojans. I am still e-mailing the new stand-alone java genetics program out though, that one is 100% safe.

Archived