Correct Water Temp

goldiemom51

I was just wondering what the best temperature is to keep my goldfish in. I find that my hood light seems to alter the temp. How long should I keep my light on for and should I add a heater to maintain a more steady temp. I typically have my light on for 8-10 hours with it off at night. By morning my temp seems to fall to 75-77 F. By the end of the day it is from 77-79 F or higher.

Having a dramatic difference in temperature on a daily basis is not really a good thing. I am assuming you have an incandencent hood - the kind with a light bulb that gets hot. You may wish to save your pennies to upgrade to a flourecent hood - for a flourencent bulb does not impart much heat to the tank - it is far more efficient.

That said, your temperatures are not far off of ideal - and the fish can really tolerate a very wide range of temps. I tend to run different tanks at different temps - probably more than most - for some of my fish seem to thrive in lower temps and some in higher. My pearlscales, veiltails, celestials and bubbleyes all seem to like the temp a bit warmer - 76-78 F. Ranchus, Orandas and such like it just about anywhere - so I aim at 72-74F. The black fish, moors and such, usually seem to keep color and activity better at cooler temps - 68-72.

A fish that is ailing or has parasitic problems can often be helped by much warmer temps - 80-82F.

Having a light that heats your tank is tough thing to deal with. You cannot turn the light on and off during the day - that can stress the fish, but you do not want large fluctuations of temp each day. I guess I would say to limit the lighting's duration such that the temp does not swing more than 4-5 degrees during the day/night period......

That is just a guess.

If, during the winter, your tank drops still more in temp. during the night, a heater can help even out this fluctuation. I like having a heater available for every tank - for I never know when I might want to raise the temp. for a treatment or such. :)

Thanks for the info. So should I be turning the light on in the morning and leave it on all day, or would it be better to turn it on when I get home at night and turn off before bed. As far as the change in lighting, the hood I have came with the tank in a starter kit and it does emit alot of heat. It has two bulbs in it that are oblong. Am I going to have to get a completely new hood or can I just change the bulbs?

Sounds like the setup I have. I got a heater to keep the temps steady at night. You just set the temp you want your tank to be at and it has a built in thermometer and knows when to come on and off. So, you could set it to 79 and then at night the temp will stay that way.

Archived