Saying Goodbye

thoughtsofjoy

I left for college in the middle of August, and when I did, I left my four babies behind. I have a common (Rhonda), two shubunkins (Rita and Richard), and a Mystery snail (Ronald). Even though I could have taken them with me, a 20-gallon tank in a tiny dorm room doesn't leave much room (especially for water changes!) I left them at home in the care of my little sister.

It's been so hard for me because I can't take care of them myself. I gave my sister this website address in case of an emergency, but I'm still very worried.

My mom called me last week and told me that Ronald, the snail, had fallen off of the glass and hadn't moved since. I told her that snails will do that, but it seems, this time I was wrong. Ronald didn't move for the rest of the week, and then the fish ate him. My mom sent me a picture of his empty shell, because I just didn't believe it.

I miss Ronald and I miss my other babies. I just needed to tell some people who would really understand.

:sorry:: Sorry to hear of your loss. Is your sister familiar with the care of goldfish? It certainly is tough to leave loved ones behind. Just keep them in your thoughts and think positive. I think you made the best decision for their well being, now you just have to have faith. Good luck with school.

Goldiemom's right. Who knows how distracted you'll get at college, because trust me, there will be plenty. I'm sure you've given your sister every reason to want to take good care of the goldfish, and it sounds like they'll keep you informed if anything happens. And she has this address, which could be a big help if they're sick or if she needs encouragement.

And if it's too upsetting, just remember most students don't stay in the dorms the whole time they're in college. Maybe you'll be able to find an apartment and can bring them to live with you again after a little while. ^_^

Oh I feel for you! I went away for three months last year and had to leave ALL my pets in my sister's care, she's great, but not too reliable. To make it worse, i had no contact with her the whole time! :blink:

I'm sure if you just keep talking and 'coaching' your family your little guys will be fine though! :D

Archived