Live Plants In Bare-bottom Tank

fishywomble

We just got a new tank and ordered a load of live plants for it. In the past, we've only ever bought potted plants for our tank.

Our tank is bare-bottom, decorated with river rocks and stones from the beach, but has no gravel (easier to clean). We'd like to keep it that way, but we are a little worried about how the new live plants will fare. Do we just weight them down and hide the roots behind stones, and dose the tank with fertiliser from time to time?

I've heard about "plant tabs" and so on, but they all seem to be some kind of substrate or gravel-like nuggets and I don't really want to add stuff like that to the tank. Am wondering whether the plants will survive in these conditions....

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!

fw

some plants like anubias and java can be attached to rocks and live that way. Most of plants need to be planted though. I have the same problem. I used to keep plants in the pots but they can't live that way either.

what im gonna do is attach anubias and java on lava rocks.

also make sure u have enough light for the plants u ordered. ;)

You mean potted plants have to be taken out and replanted in gravel or some sort of substrate?

Gosh.. ok... looks like I might have to get some substrate after all. My worry is cleaning the gravel/substrate... the fish produces enough poop as it is even on a barebottom, I really worry about the mess it'll make with a gravelled tank! :blink:

fw

Archived