Bought A New Tank

fishywomble

Just an update for everyone who helped out when Bega fell sick and died... We've finally upgraded to a 33 gallon tank (125 litres). We have our small fancy goldfish, Julian left, and it's a big tank for one little fish, but we're playing it safe for now and waiting at least a week before transferring Julian to the new tank. We've transferred some rocks, some filter media, live bacteria and some plants to the new tank and hope that it cycles within the week.

I hope the Juwel Rio 125 has a better filter than the Rekord 60! To help things along, we also purchased a Fluval 2+ filter which is cleaning out the old Rekord 60 tank at the moment. It's amazing how much cleaner the water is after a week.

So we're keeping the old tank to serve as QT when we buy a new fish. Do we have to QT new fish for 2 weeks or a month? Is it OK to keep them in a tank devoid of decorations or will it stress them out even more not to have anything to hide behind?

Anyway we're pretty excited about the new tank, which still looks bare at the moment, will be buying plants and more rocks to decorate it over the next week.

So this is my update. :D We've decided not to give up keeping goldies.

fw

The longer the quarantine period the better. 30 days is good.

It would be nice to add some decorations to the quarantine tank, it helps fish get their bearings otherwise it's like living in a directionless void.

Congratulations on your new tank and your sensible plan to allow it to settle before adding your fish. All you need now is test kits to help through the tank cycling period. Good luck.

Hi all,

If I move the stones and decorations from the first tank to the new one, will it cycle almost instantly? I'm also moving filter media and the brown gunk over... anything I can get my hands on, really. We want the fish to be able to adjust to its new home as quickly as possible.

I guess even if the tank is still cycling, it won't be that stressful if we have a small 2-inch fishy in a 125-litre tank? (that's about 33 US gallons).

fishywomble

Yep, even just a few handfuls of mucky grave will do the trick. The main thing is the filter material because it's not really the tank that cycles, it's the filter. If the filter is already cycled there should be no problems.

We've moved everything from the old tank to the new tank, including Julian. And the fish looks very, very happy in the new tank! We've got live plants in there, rocks and two filters that it seems to enjoy playing with, "riding the currents" and so on! I must say that she is livelier than I've ever seen her. So this move must be a good thing. :)

fw

Archived