My Poor Poor Oranda

Slugger

Since I moved my Oranda, with his Ryukin buddy to the 55g from the 29g, he has gotten SBD :(

I think it is because he got an infection months back, that permanently messed up his swim bladder control. He used to swim just about OK in the 29g at tank temp. 32C, but the 55g is 28C all the time. The drop in temp and the freeze dried shrimp finally broke the camel's back :(:(

I've tried the live food thing and peas, but he has a really hard time swimming at all and prefers to float upside down. He can only eat a tiny amount because of his poor swimming. Now I feed floating and sinking pellets because the live stuff didn't really work. At least he can eat some of the floating pellets.

He doesn't seem to be suffering, but it pains me to see him float like that.

Should I move him back to the warmer tank?

Slugger

I isolated my pearly into the 10g to control the amount of food she eats. In her case it was definately related to what she ate and how much she ate of it. I know you believe your case is related to SB damage but may I suggest fasting for a few days after it moves, it may help. Good luck.

It might be a good idea to heat the tank, it seems your fish responds to warmer water.

Archived