Fish Highways

toothless

Ohhhhh! Toothless, quit showing me all these pictures!!! I'm never gonna get married unless I find a hubby off this site lol. My boyfriend is jealous of my pets and thinks I care for them more than him as it is :( VERY cool tho..its something I want! Those highways would need to be pretty big for goldies!

Oh my goodness! What in the world is THAT?? :o Do the fish actually use it as a means of transport b/n the two tanks?

HOLY CRAP! That is so impressive!

I remember seeing this wierd tank at some out of the way thriftshop. It looked like this:

post-1193-1125977882_thumb.jpg

They had parkeets living in the middle while the tripocals could swim through from tank to tank. It was pretty cool, I thought. Its definitely do-able though......

Actually I think the clear tubes that I had seen before, I guess it was a homemade thing, well I think it looked better than that square weird stuff...

And also..what if it got nasty and algae in it? Then what? How the heck would you clean it? Also how does the air circulate? i think it is an awesome idea....if its practical....

there's a picture of something similar in one of our UK magazines, except it has two tracks in figure of eight (like Scalextrix...soz, cant spell it!) so you can 'race' the fish! Costs a bomb tho...

It says he cleans it with the algae magnets - but that sounds like a major chore! Calculating out the various water pressure differences, depending on height, you could easily send a female goldie into spawning! It would be very difficult to keep up with needed circulation for goldies, but keeping the highways shorter could work......

Other than that - that is the coolest. I have two tracks that run around the ceiling for the cats to cruise from room to room - wouldn't it be cool if their fishy friends could swim alongside? :D

I remember a tank on a TV show years ago that was two large cubes with a cylindar between them that looked sooooooo cool. The tank never had any fish - we always questioned that, though.

I would like to see this one in person! :)

Wow! That blows my mind that someone actually has the ingenuity to do that and then maintain it. :blink:

I'd like to see it in person too. Looks like its in some kind of coffee shop, but where?

Cool! Carol pointed out a very interesting fact! If I anylized everything correctly, wich I hope I did, then The reason goes something like this.......

First, you know how when a diver swims deeper into the ocean, the water pressure, created by the weight of the water itself, increases? this is the same principle at play in this scenario.

I think she meant the act of purging her eggs due to the increased pressure from swimming though the tubes. The water inside of the tubes weighs quite a bit. Well, all of the weight of the water inside of the tubes, and only in the tubes, would be pushing down upon itself, in effect, compressing itself and creating "water pressure". So the water pressure inside of the tubes would be much greater than that inside of the tanks.

As an egg bearing female swam from the tank, up into the tube, even though she is swimming upwards, she is swimming into increased water pressure. But, the higher into the tubes she swam, the water pressure would decrease. Then, as she swam back down the other side, the water pressure would, naturally, increase as she got furhter down. Then, as she swam to the bottom, out of the tube, and into the tank, the water pressure would suddenly drop.

The fluctuations in water pressure would most likely send a female into throwing eggs everywhere.... ;)

Carol? :huh:

Neat. But, I still have questions... Along the same lines Daryl and Toothless were going down. I e-mailed the guy (before their answers posted) - site says it is in Evanston, IL. Maybe he will join us and 'splain all! Yes, it is very possible in theory but I still wonder about... the pressure over the distances and the overall affect of the pressure changes on the fish. If calibrated correctly, the pressures could be very gentle on the fish, seeming as though it is swiming through the tunnels but it is not really "swimming but rather being gently pulled and deposited... What affect does this have on the fish (if that system was perfected)? It seems disorienting to me just to think about it! A tube that long with that many turns... I would like to know how it is done! It would have to be a parallel system to maintain the pressure - but where, how? Or pressure is being added at different places... It does seem like the tube might be runing through two levels of the buiolding. Anyway, maybe we will get an answer or work it out oursleves...

I think I can answer some of that:

post-1193-1126209310_thumb.jpg

Some facts:

The water pressure at points A and B are higher than the pressure at point C. The weight of point C, A and B would be pressing down on point A and B and raising the pressure. The higher up the tubes go, the more water is overhead and the water pressure at points A and B increases.

The weight of the water in one side of the arc is what is holding the water up in the arc at the other end and visa-versa. This means that the tanks at each and of the tube HAVE to be the same height from the floor. If one tank were raised higher than the other, a syphon would be created and all the water would run out of the higher of the two tanks, to the lower. This is the principle that describes how our gravel vacs work.

The tubes HAVE to be either run from one tank to another, or from the tank back to itself. The latter makes no sense to do, so thats out.

There is no outside force pulling water through the tubes.

As seen in the pictures, you can have a layer of air at the highest point in the tubes. However, this air is not connected to outside air, the tubes are air/water tight.

Hypothetical--- If a stream of water were directed into one end of a tube, it would need an alternate stream coming from the other direction, and for the streams to remain on opposite sides of the tube. Otherwise, nothing but turbulence happens. This is perhaps the one of the largest concerns with operation of aquariums like this. How does the water in the tubes remain clean if there isn't any, or enough current to pull it to and through the filters? Theres probably a way, but it is clearly not illustrated in the photos on the site.

I hope I figured this stuff correctly. Someone correct me if I am wrong.... :unsure:

Hey,

I was reading on another thread somewhere, I think it was in DIY, someone had built one of these bridges. I think the idea is that a cannister filter takes water out of one tank, and releases water back into the other tank, that's how the water gets pumped through the pipe, so yeah, the water in the pipe does get to the filter, it is always being recycled through both tanks. And yeah, due to gravity the level of the water in the tanks stay the same etc.

Thats a good idea. But, the ones in the link above are way too loooong for a canister to be used. Of course, the hoses could have been hidden somwhere..............

That would certainly be a fix to the problem for the smaller units though. ;) Thanks!

Hi Toothless,

Was talking to my husband about trouble-shooting this issue, it's not so much the length of the piping that's the problem, it's the height. Cannister filters are usually strong enough to be able to push water up to about 150cm directly up against gravity, I don't think it matters how long the tube is, the cannister should be able to pump water through a mile long pipe as long as it doesn't go above the 150cm mark!

Being able to get good enough flow through piping that went right up to the roof would involve having a modified cannister with a lot of grunt, 'turbo cannister' :rofl , but serious, it could be done, the engine just needs enough power to push water 'up' to say 3-4metres.

Oh my stars, toothless, that is so cool!! Thanks for posting that link!! I've never seen anything like that. My anniversary is coming up but my husband didn't seem as excited about the fish highway as I am!! There's always Christmas . . .

(Although I have to agree with the others that it'd be a lot of work to clean. Maybe Santa could send one of his elves over to help me clean it. They aren't busy 11 months out of the year, right?) :rolleyes:

Archived