Oh No....

Kissy

I added a bit of biozyme to help cycle Orchard's new filter, but he started eating it! Is this bad? So I took him out in a cup and placed him under the covers on my bed to keep it dark (it calms him a lot) like I usually do with a water change. The phone rang and I sat down with the phone and I felt wet....It had tipped over when I sat down and Orchard was laying on my sheets! I dropped the phone, scooped him up and back into his tank. He seems okay now...he was a little shooken up at first but he's such a trooper. His dorsal fin is ripped tho...When he had some nasty fin rot before I got him, It damaged his dorsal fin, and it hangs over a bit. Thats where it ripped, and it will probably fall off with the remaining 1/2" of the fin. He seems okay, but I am SO worried that it will get infected with the tail rot that is NOT going away. Meds aren't working, I'm going to try some other stuff I guess. But he heals up a little bit, then the fins blow out a couple days later. Then it heals a bit, then it returns. Poor little guy, it never ends for him. I hope he'll be okay. He went back to eating the biozyme...is this going to hurt him? Its like a dry powder that is "hibernating biobugs".

Try switching meds, he may have become immune to them. As for the tear, i think alittle melefix should work.. or bettaFIX (not bettamax, though thats awsome if you can find it)

He's doing worse today...the rot has not only progressed excessively on his tail last night and today, but it is now on his dorsal and tummy fins :( I don't think I can get to the petstore anytime soon. I dug around in my meds been and I found this stuff called Super Sulfa, by aquatronics. It treats fin and tail rot, along with "cottony patches, white body and fin blotches, fungal infections, molly disease, and columnaris." Dose:1 capsule per ten gallons, treat every other day for five days (three treatments are suggested). Repeat full treatment in 3 days if neccasary. Ingrediants: 150 mg capsules of water soluble sulfamethazine, sulfathiazole, sulfadiazine, sulfamerazine, and sodium laurul sulfate.

Would this be okay to try? I don't want Orchard to die ._.

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The meds are working, and I haven't seen any negative effects :D:D I'm so happy :D Can't you tell?? :D

I went ahead with the meds last night. I took out 1/3 of his water and kept it in a popcorn bowl to make it 2.5 gallons for easier dosing, and just in case things started going badly for him. I broke open a capsule, divided it into fourths, and gave him a portion of the powder. 10 minutes later I realized that I had totally forgot to take out the carbon from the filter! I was like "Oh CRAP" and I just pulled the whole thing out (wasn't all the way cycled anyways). I stayed up til 11:30 just watching him for an hour just to make sure he wouldn't start dieing from the meds or something. It must not have sucked a lot of the meds up because by the next morning there was already some new growth on his tail fin!!! You don't know how happy that made me. There is a little more regrowth now. Its the majority of the middle to upper middle of his tail fin. The rot seems to have stopped or at least considerably slowed in other places and fins. He still doesn't have a filter so I am keeping a close eye on his params. Next dose is tomorrow. Hopefully, the meds will keep working and this will be the last of Orchard's finrot days, and he will be healthy for a long long time. I love him, hes the sweetest betta in the world....god I'm getting all teary. Anyways, this all better not be wishful thinking.

HAPPY!!! :bounce

edit: haha...I had to drastically reduce my emoticon usage of smilies in this post for the board to accept it!

Orchard's doing worse again...his tail tore up again overnight. He won't eat his dinner now :(

I've been feeding him metro-med because I started him on it a week ago because last time he was on it he had absolutely no rot problems. I continued feeding it to him because it says if you don't feed at least two weeks you could create a super bug. He viciously chomps on anything that falls into his tank, and he usually eats it with the same gusto as hikari. I hope he eats tomorrow....I'm going to try the hikari again...this is not working. I gave him the second dose of super sulfa tonight.

I got him to eat today!!!! I'm hoping his loss of appetite was because of the water change I just did and turning on the lights when he was all sleeping. He ate a hikari pellet thismorning. His fins look slightly better. Thanks littleone. I'm running out of money really....no job and my allowance doesn't balance out how much I spend on fish each month. Jungle Lab products are usually pretty cheap tho. Hopefully I can get ahold of some this weekend.

I think the Jungle Products are pretty good; they certainly helped with my fish when they were having problems. Best of luck; I hope Orchard feels better soon.

Today will be the recommended fifth day of medication with the sulfa. THe package says you can do another round, but you should wait three days. Should I really wait or should just keep medicating every other day? I might be going to a LFS today :) Btw, how much salt do you use? I am so scared to use salt because I've heard some bettas have horrible reactions to salt...but my rot is the most stubborn thing and I think I might have to try it.

392396[/snapback]

I am coming over here since it seems more appropriate than in the product reviews. We didn't really ever talk about super sulfa!

Since I guess you have been through a few rounds of maracyn and the rot always returned, I would do a longer treatment if Orchard seems to be responding well to it. I think that the reason it always comes back has to be that the antibiotic was not able to kill everything off. Just like not finishing your prescription when you start feeling better. I would probably do two treatments in a row without the break they say to do.

I am just using 0.5 teaspoons of salt per gallon. My guy seems to slowly be getting better. His bottom fin seems fine now, his tail is healing. Some days I will see a split in it, but it will heal. I think I am going to remove a tall plastic plant in there that I think he might be tearing his tail on. :goldfish:

Thanks becky :) I made it to mmm today and luckily they had the fungus clear! I did a water change and added the third dose of super sulfa, and a fisrt dose of the fungus clear about an hour ago. It looks like his dorsal fin didn't develop fin rot (not yet anyway) and is only torn. Only the tip of his tummy fin had the rot, but it looks like it is mostly healed. His tail has a bit of new growth..hopefully he'll continue to get better. I'm not going to do the break, and keep treating continuously for the second round. I think I'll add a bit of salt in a couple days too. Should I just put in the dissolved .5 tsp per gallon, or should I start with like .25 or something?

I noticed this morning that the side of his head is looking a little fuzzy. I don't know if its just his slime coat peeling slightly from stress of being sick, or its a fungus or something. The sulfa treats cottony patches, fungal infections and columnaris, and fungus clear treats funguses also, so I think I'm covered...what do you think it is? I'm going to go test my pH and make sure its where it should be.

"The sulfa treats cottony patches, fungal infections and columnaris, and fungus clear treats funguses also, so I think I'm covered."

That sounds like good stuff! What color is the fuzz? Is it just discoloration or a different texture?

If it's discoloration, I read about a type of fin rot that's caused by 'Vibrio' bacteria, and it said some symptoms are also 'discoloration of the skin and necrotic lessions of the abdomen... may cause pop eye' so it could just be another symptom of the rot?

Thought I'd mention it, anyway. You're probably covered though, like you said, since the sulfa should take care of everything. Good luck with the treatment!

The fuzz is clearish white. Its in the same spot as the little "thread strings" were a month or so ago. What is necrotic? He's got some dark colored "freckes" on his abdomen and I thought that was all they were but now I'm not sure.

I don't know what the fuzzy spot could be. But with all the stuff in the water surely something will take care of it! :)

I just added all the salt right in. It is only 0.05%-half of what you start with for a goldfish so I thought it was ok.

He's getting those white fuzzy threads on his head again. What is this??? I treated it with metro-med last time for fear it was hole-in-the-head disease cuz that is exactly what it looked like. It went away about five days into treatment. Should I start feeding that again? Do you think it could just be slime coat comming off from stress of being ill?

Hi, Kissy - I don't have any ideas... I only have a big hug for you and Orchard! :heart I have not been around lately but I am back now - and hoping to hear that Orchard puls through. The only thing I can add is that Sulfa drugs will affect good biobugs as well as bad - the last time you saw the stringy white things on Orchards head, was it also around the time he was being treated with a sulfa drug? If there is a relationship, best establish it now so we can figure this out!

Archived