Sleepy Goldfish

balashark

hello. got another goldfish question. i've noticed my calico fantail, for as long as i can remember actually, hangs out at the bottom of my aquarium. like i'll come in the room and she's actually sitting on the gravel, not moving at all. whenever i walk up to the tank she starts swiming around; so i always chalked it up to having a sleepy fish. this isn't all the time or anything, maybe every other day at most. but her tankmate doesn't do that. i feed them both wardley complete goldfish care goldfish flakes, and blood worms and baby shrimp as treats. is there something i should be doing differently or is this normal behavior?

thanks,

Well it could be a couple of things.

If she's new, she's just acclimating to the new tank.

She could have Swim Bladder Disorder.

She could be stressed.

Bad water.

Maybe you could post your water params?

For now, you could do a water change, and feed some peas.

Hey there Bala~

I would check all you water params and get back to us...I would also be very careful with this sort of behaviour. If your water turns out to be fine and there are really no other signs of a problem, only that she sits on the bottom watch for a fluke infestation or costia. That may seem extreme to say, but without other information you can never tell. I know that with both of those, there may be no other apparent signs of a problem, just a lot of sitting on the bottom. And unfortunately it's when they are at the bottom that the parasites can do more and more damage. As I said, this is not to frighten you, but could be a possibility if your little one spends a lot of time on the bottom. Usually with swim bladder you would have flipover and floaty problems as well. Just be very careful, and very watchful, check your water, let us know if there are any other odd behaviours, and let us know what's going on. Good Luck! :heart

ooo now that made me worried about Fred

He is doing the same thing the last few days

seems to be sleeping alot in the same spot unless I am near the tank then he does the normal wiggle and gets energetic. Hopefully its just the new environment.

sorry to barge in on your thread balashark. I sure hope your fish is ok..is it a new environment aswell?

na, that's the thing, it's not a new fish or new environment. well, it is a slightly new envrionment, but she's always done this even in her old aquarium. my water's fine, 0, 0, 40 w/ a 6.9 ph. it's not swim bladder i don't think, no problem swimming when she's not at the bottom; and i would think it's been long enough (almost a year) to where some of those frightening diseases would've come out already.

i'll definitely continue to keep a close eye on her. i've been meaning to ask, and maybe there's tons of other threads on here already, but how do you feed peas to fish?

Archived