I Don't Know If He Has Swim Bladder Disorder.

Guest ElenasALH

Guest ElenasALH

I got my calico pearlscale 5 mos ago. Ever since I got him, His humped back would surface and he would stay suspended in the surface till evening. He has control of his mobility, but sometimes when he stayed still, he will slowly float to the top. He is active at night and is always swimming, asking for food. My pH, ammonia, and nitrates are all normal and he lives in a 29 gallon tank with 2 other goldies. I just wanted to know if he has the signs of a swim-bladder disorder. If so, is there anything I can do for him and what I can do to prevent it in my other goldies?

Anytime a fish's swimming behavior is different or non-pleasing to the eye, I am suspicious of some underlying problem. A fish should be able to hover, weightlessly mid tank as well as easily swim up and down. Anytime a fish hovers at the top or the bottom of the tank for the majority of its time, I worry a bit.

If there is something there, I would not be panicky about it though. I would, however, recommend that you keep a very close eye on your water parameters. This particular fish may be one that is more suceptible to nitrate levels than another. I have a few fish that will get slightly unstable at 30 ppm nitrates. I need to make sure their tanks never get over 5-10 ppm for complete stabiltiy.

Another thing you can do that can help in general is to up the amounts of green material in his diet. Some fish do well on a large portion of pelleted food and a smaller portion of gel or fresh greens. Others simply seem to need a far greated percentage of fresh greens and gel food. I have one that for years only ate fresh greens. Without a daily source of the greens, the fish went floaty.

I do so love a pretty pearlscale! I hope yours continues to give you pleasure for years and years! :)

Guest Morten33

I agree, water peramaters and diet are the only things you can do. And a lot of times a change in diet really can make a difference. I feed Pro-Gold pellet food that I soak first. And I also feed peas every 2 or 3 days. Peas act like a natural laxitive. This will help keep them regular. If i don't feed the Peas every couple days one of my fish floats too. If your fish is floating right now, i would fast him for 2 to 3 days, then JUST feed peas for 2 days. Then start adding the regular food back into his diet.

(when you feed peas, take off the outside shell of the pea and depending on the size of the fish, cut the pea up into small bite sizes)

Good luck!

Emily

Guest ElenasALH

Thanx for your replies. My calico pearlscale can easily hover across the water, but that is only in the evening when he wants food. I'm going to try to feeding him peas along with his other tank mates. Thanx again for your replies.

Archived