Feeding Common Plecos?

vette427

I have had trouble in the past keeping my Plecos alive. Their is always plenty of alage in the tank yet mine never stay alive and other fish are doing fine. I have read that some peoples plecos have grown to more then 10 inches, so i was wondering if people are feeding them something else? thanks

Do you give him Algae Wafers/disks? The goldfish like to eat them also, and you might not see the pleco eat them but it will. Plecos will also eat any uneaten food at the bottom of the tank.

I have had trouble in the past keeping my Plecos alive.  Their is always plenty of alage in the tank yet mine never stay alive and other fish are doing fine. I have read that some peoples plecos have grown to more then 10 inches, so i was wondering if people are feeding them something else?  thanks

389954[/snapback]

What size tank has he been kept in ,with how many fish? What are your regular test kit results?Normal PH? I've had two common Plec's for the last few years.They are both between 9 & 11 inches I guess. I've had them since they were about an inch and a half big. Truthfully,I've never seen my Common's eating on any sort of Algae-ever.They like and expect the same foods as everyone else eats. They will actually surface,and hover like a helicopter for frozen Bloodworms. :lol: They also adore Squash/Cukes/Spinach/Zuchinni,etc...

Hes kept in a 29 gal with one other goldfish that is over 8 years old, I dont have my own test kit but i do get it tested regulary and everything is fine. I guess the ones i buy just dont eat enough alage to survive.

As mentioned,my common's don't bother with eating algae.I don't think that they're really known for that.They need a well rounded diet like everyone else gets.If you're not really feeding them specific foods for them,maybe they're dying because they weren't eating enough. Try Algae Wafer's/Blood Worms/Tubiflex Worms/Veggies such as Zuchinni/Squash/Cukecumber's etc. They'll be much more happier with those in their diet. :)

:) Actually,there are a few people around here,that have kept a common with their Goldies with no problems. What we do know about Common's in general,is that they have been known to suck the slimecoat off of fish.There are ways to help prevent that from happening to a certain degree.Commons must be well maintained,housed in big enough tanks to feel comfortable,and certainly be well fed with a wide range in foods.For as many attacks that people have reported,there's still always going to be that chance where it could happen,& that's why we advise people to not take the risk. I have had my Commons since they were babies.They've shared the tanks with the smallest of fish =to the largest,and the only time that I have ever seen them bother anyone was when my Bala shark was dying,and that is pretty normal for any fish to try and eat off of a sick/dying fish. I personally don't have my commons with my goldfish,but it's because they've done so well in the tank that they are in now.

:) If you have other fish in there,you could always drop a whole wafer in.Anything that he doesn't finish,will certainly be eaten by someone else. If he's in a tank by himself,you could always just break the wafer in half.Anytime you feed fish,you should give them ample time to eat,and always remove excess as to not pollute the water. :)

Archived