Help For Wilbur's Red Sore

Guest fourgiven

Guest fourgiven

Wilbur is about seven years old. He lives in a 2 gal tank, with a bubbler filter system. It is one of those 20$ tanks from nnnnnn. I fill it with softened tap water. We have never added any conditioners, meds or additives. I have never checked the ph, nitrate or chloramine levels. The ph in the tap water I think was 6 or 7. The food we feed him is Wardley premium goldfish flakes. Wilbur is about 4 inches long and is the only fish. My son says he is not eating at the top of the tank as he has in the past. This sore starts right at the top of his upper lip. It is a circular sore 1/8 ro 1/4th inch in diameter, red around the outside and whitish in the middle. There is nothing stringy on the sore. The rest of his body looks really good. He is still swimming good. I hate to say it, but we only change the water when the sides of the tank get some algae on them. There is a little algae on the sides of the tank now.

Thanks again for any help you can give us.

Guest fourgiven

I forgot to add that when I change the water, I change all of it and wash all the rocks and plants with warm water, then return them to the tank.

Guest fourgiven

Please help..........I only get to town every two weeks, we live far from town. Sept. 6th is the only time I can get RX supplies for my fish, otherwise Wilbur will have to wait two more weeks. What kind of supplies should I get while I'm in town? I am clueless about fish. The only kind I have ever had is goldfish. Can a fish get an injury by bumping into the walls of the tank? Maybe my tank is too small? Please help us, my son is heartbroken and in tears about his beloved Wilbur.

Julie

Hi and welcome :)

Now..I comend you for posting and asking for help

Dont feel bad!

For what I am about to say will seem harsh...but there is NO way you can keep a fish in 2 gal and keep them healthy

Unfortunatley the pet shops will say otherwise..its not your fault

but...down the line, problems will occur as you are now experiencing now

So far you have been lucky as most first goldish owners are, then the problems start as the fishes imune system is compromised over time

First you need to do a waterchange (PLEASE SAVE SOME WATER FROM WHAT HE IS LIVING IN NOW)... I am gussing the water is not cycled so do a full change and get him in tip top pristine water!

Then you need to get a bigger tank..this is important or it will happen again

and I know they expensive but get test kits

If you can not buy test kits now...take a sample of the water THE ONE BEFORE THE WATER CHANGE then take a sample of the new waterafter the change

Take both to your pet/fish store

ask them to test the water, but ask them to write down the results!

dont let them say "its ok" or "its not ok"

if you can get the reading from what he was living in, and the new readings then we can work out what went wrong

It would save alot of time and guessing if we know what the water was like that he was in.

another thing...ypu say he bumping in the walls of the tank?

do yopu mean he is flashing? eratic fast swiming? trying to scratch?

as for alge on the tank...alge is good! some types.

but it is NO measure if water is clean or not, crystal clear water can be toxic, unfortunatley the things we can not see ( like amonia) is the things that harm. and no doubt your pet shop would not have told you that either!

please post back soon

Guest fourgiven

Thanks for the info. Today I will look for a larger tank and testing kits. What type of water is the best for the tank? We have well water and it is softened. We also have reverse osmosis water. I will take some water in with me today and post the results when I get them.

Guest fourgiven

Here is the run down on the tank levels:

Old 2 gal tank: 7.8 PH, 300 TA, 75 water hardness, 3.0-5.0 Nitrite, and 160-200 Nitrate

New 10 gal tank just purchased today: Put in fresh tap water plus old tank water and 1 teaspoon of AquaSafe water conditioner. Reading are now:

8.4 PH, 300 TA, 25 water hardness, .5 Nitrite, 40 Nitrate

I purchased an undergravel filter system and an Aquatech power head 170 GPH. I put Wilbur in the tank before I installed the power head. He swam around in his new big tank and looked almost as if he had a smile on his face. He seemed quite happy. I later realized when trying to install the power head that the tube needed to be in the other hole and had to move poor Wilbur again so I could fix the problem. After fixing it, I put Wilbur back in the big tank and fired up the power head and Wilbur seemed to freak out. He wasn't hitting the sides of the tank or anything but he swam around looking aggitated, and he had to swim hard against the suction of the current. He started pooping right away and it was brown but just hung there for a long time not dropping off. I ended up turning the power head off and just putting in the little bubbler pump thing that was in his old tank. He calmed right down. Is that the right size power head for a 10 gal tank? I have to leave on a trip for the next four days so I decided just to leave him with this set up until I get home. Any advice would be must appreciated. I SO don't know what I'm doing.

One other note, the red sore above his lip looks a bit better today.

Thats fantastic news :)

As for the powerhead I am unfamiliar with that type. I sugest posting in the tanks and equipment section of the forum where there are members there that have alot of experience in that area.

I am glad you got a new tank, your fish will LOVE you for it!

As it is new its going to have to cycle

You can read all about cycling here:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Any questions regarding the cycle and your water conditions can be asked in the water chemistry section of the forum :)

Best of luck with your fish and the new tank!

Archived