Petco 40gal Breeder Terrarium

Guest d1greenfish

Guest d1greenfish

Well i was looking at the tanks at mmm, and i saw what was labeld a 40gal breeder tank. This tank appealed to me 'cause it is a bit wider than other tanks. The problem is, the label from the manufacturer (dun remember who) has a picture of a reptile and it says terrarium on it. I asked a kid at store if it would hold water. He looked at me like "It's a tank you moron". Said it should be fine. In the past i've gotten bad info from this particular store so i was wondering if anyone else new if these tanks are strong enough to hold water. Thanks!

Guest Sacreligioushippie

I've wondered that too. Reptile tanks always seem to be longer. I guess the issue would be how thick the glass is.

~ Jessica

Yes, it will hold water just fine.

They call these tanks, breeders, because you can breed many tropicals in them at the same time. All that is needed is a bunch of dividers and breeding fish. The lower the tank, the more dividers it can have in it. Thus, making a tank shorter and wider.

40 gallon breeder tanks are much better suited for goldfish than a regular 39 or 40 gallon tank because of the extra horizontal swimming pace and increased o2 leves via more surface for more oxygen exchange.

hope this helps!

Paul

Guest d1greenfish

Awsome. The fact that the tank would have more surface area was exactly why i was interested in it. hehe, the fact that it was initially intended for reptiles just gave me pause. (but then again if the seams broke and water spilled everywhere, there'd be A LOT of surface area lol). Well if it'll be able to handle the weight of water imma definately go get one! :yeah:

Guest 2 commons

I have the same tank from mmm. I contacted All-glass (maker of the tank) about the breeder because I had the same question. They make two different kinds. One for reptiles (terrarium) and one for fish. The difference is that the reptile one has thinner glass (about 1/8 inch) and is only designed to hold about six inches of water. The other one has thinker glass(about 1/4 inch). Make sure it says aquarium on it and not terrarium and has the thicker glass.

I love the width that it has. I have my two nine inch commons in one and they have lots of room to move and frolick.

Guest d1greenfish

hmm... well i'd have to double check that, 'cause i'm pretty sure the label said terrarium. Wonder if they'd be willing to special order an aquarium version fer me...? Anywho. thanks!

Archived