Need Help

Guest shygirl0787

Guest shygirl0787

Ok, I may be thinking a little head considering I'm not getting a new tank for another 2 weeks, but I wanted to ask anyways. At the moment I have a small red capped oranda and I will be upgrading his small 3 gallon to a 20 gallon by the end of the month (I was going to get a 10, but I know I wont be able to resist buying new fishies :D ). So my question is: is there a certain type of goldfish that would go better with my oranda and for that size tank with another fish? The lionheads or ryukins are starting to grow on me, but they seem to be a bigger variety. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Its great that you're upgrading your tank. Your oranda will love it. As far as another fish, one of the non-eye impaired (ie, bubble eyes, telescopes) fancies should be fine. Maybe a ranchu or lionhead, or a calico fantail. Pearlscales are great too. Bubble eyes, black moores and other "eye" fish, could have a hard time competing for food against an oranda because they don't see as well.

I wouldn't recommend a common or comet simply because they require 20-25 gallons per fish.

But it's really just a matter of personal preference.

~ Jesica

i agree - a common would need much more space. :)

as for visualy challenged fish - i guess it depends on how much time you intend to spend feeding them. i myself have a moor in with my other non-visually chalenged fish, and he gets along fine, but it does meen that i have to spend longer making sure that he gets his fair share of the food etc. :)

personally i would not suggest going for a pearlscale as i believe that they should have about 15 gals per one, but that is just my personal opinion. :)

i would reccomend something like a ryukin or a rachu, as they would be able to compete fairly with your oranda. :)

good luck.

:) All Goldies have the potential to get pretty big.Although your new 20 gal. will look huge compared to your three gal.,I would resist the urge to fill it with more than two goldfish.You'll be so surprised at how fast they will both grow if kept in good conditions. :)

Guest *Ilovemyfish

Greetings new fish mama!

Just a little advice from a semi-nubie perspective, if you're know for sure that you're going to stop at one fish, then go with the 20 gallon and call it quits. If you're really getting into the fish world, spring for the 55 gallon now. I have 3 tanks under 55 gallon size that I can't resist keeping fully populated while I populate my new HUGE tank.

Once you start you can't stop, and your house gets more and more crammed with parts and tanks and little buckets because you didn't start with the big ones for big tanks, which leads to blowing more money on the big tank supplies when you have more than enough small tank parts and ahhh!

It's a mess.

Good luck. :heart

Archived