Stuck In Skimmer!

Ruffledmumkin

Someone please help. I just checked my pond skimmer, and found my little comet in it. She was stuck to the basket. She is trying to hang on, but doesn't look too good. I need to know what I should do. Should I take her out of the pond and put her in a 10 gal qt tank? Do I put all new water in it? Should I add some salt, if so how much to a 10? Should I feed her med food? Should I put a filter in the 10, even though she is having trouble swimming? Or would it be best to do water changes, and siphon the stuff off the bottom everyday? I am so worried about her, If anyone can help, please do! :cry1 Thanks!

Unforunately, there is nothing you can do but keep her in very clean water and wait. Less turbulance in the water would be good but it still needs to be aerated.

I would go and make sure that it can't happen again. ANYTHING that sucks water in should be covered with a screen of sorts that is too small for the smallest fish to get into.

Good luck with her..... :unsure:

PAul

So I shouldn't add salt? What about the water, do I add all new? I can't cover the skimmer, because it has to collect the leaves. She is usually in the upper pond away from it, but she went over the little waterfall, and ended up in the lower pond where the skimmer is. She is a very slow swimmer compared to most comets. I have her in a breeding container, floating in the pond. Is that ok, or do I need to put her in a tank? I have so many questions! I really need some more help. Thanks!

Guest Sacreligioushippie

Sorry to hear about your fish.

Like toothless said, less turbulence is better, so if the pond doesn't have a huge current, she's probably ok in the breeding container. If there's a big current, try putting her in a 10 gallon with an airstone or two and keep an eye on the water params. Then just keep an eye on her. If she has an open wounds or scrapes, than you can probably salt the tank.

As far as the pond goes, maybe you can make some kind of baracade for the waterfall, that way she can't get back to the lower pond. Maybe something out of plastic canvas (from the craft store, that stuff works wonders.)

Good luck & I hope your fish gets better.

~Jessica

Thanks Sac! She is just sitting at the bottom of the breeder thing. I really hope she makes it, she is so cute and sweet. I've only had her a couple weeks, and I am really attached. How do I know if she isn't going to make it, and is suffering, and I should put her down? I only know the freezer method.

I just checked on her again, and she is swimming a little. She looks a little better. I don't want to get my hopes up, because she went through a lot, and could still not make it. She does have some tears in her tail, and is missing some scales, so should I add salt? If so how much salt, and for how long. Should I feed her, if so how much, and do I feed her the medicated food? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure I do this right.

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

that's what happened to my fish, he got stuck in my filter tube and luckily there was a corner in the tube, his tail was falling apart but now it's almost completely healed

I hope she is going to be ok!

as for feeding, maybe skip it for a day to lower stress

as for the salt ( I noticed you asked a few times) its up to you.

a tonic solution will help elievate stress and help heal if there is physical injury, but its really up to you

Great water will do the best anyway.

Poor fishy!! I have had dreams at night mine got sucked up and I ran out to check them!

Don't worry abut adding anything to the water. Just keep it perfect. 0ppm for nitrItes and ammonia at all times. Keep everything nice and stable for her. ;)

If you can get her to eat something, yes, medicated food would be the best bet, if you dont have any yet, feed her her normal diet. If she refuses that, try some treats like shrimp pellets, bloodworms and whatnot.

A good medicated food to keep on hand is Medi-gold from http://www.goldfishconnection.com/shop/lis....php?parentId=5

Good luck! :)

Paul

That stuff sounds great, but there is no way my husband will let me pay that much on fish food. He thinks I spend too much already. I do have some medicated food from the lfs. Its the Jungle Anti-Parasite medicated food. Will that work? It doesn't say what is in it. Also, I think I am starting to see some signs of fin rot where she tore it. What should I do about this? The water is ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, and ph 7.

If you PM me your addy,Mumkin, I'll send you some Medigold. I have a container full, which should last me way beyond any expiration date, and I don't wonna have it wasted. So, feel free to give me your addy, and its on its way.... :)

Thanks everyone for your wonderful help, but my little fishy died today. :cry1 She was injured too badly. I feel so bad, I didn't even get a chance to name her. She was a nnnnnn rescue. I rescued her with another comet, and common. I haven't seen them since I took the netting off after the hurricane. I hope they are just hiding. Anyways, thanks again everyone.

Archived