Using Salt With Your Goldfish Fry

Guest kscoleman

Guest kscoleman

I have about 20 fry that are 1 month old. I started with about 35 but lost 2 a day in the last week. I am afraid it is flukes so I used Aqua-prazi on Sat. AM. I will repeat treatment Wednesday. I had 3 very small goldfish together in a 20 gal. tank for about 6 weeks. I had to move a little gold goldfish out of the tank because the oranda would not stop chasing her. I never saw that behavior with the other fish (a black moor) and the little male. After they were alone for about 3 weeks, I treated them with Aqua-prazi and moved them into separate larger tanks with other goldfish. (I wanted to use their tank for a quarantine tank.} Three days later I was looking at the tank trying to decide how best to keep the bacteria alive and I discovered babies! Can I add salt to the water to help keep fungal infections at bay? Any other suggestions? I have a sponge filter right now and there are large river rocks in there because I did not plan this breeding. I would like to get the rocks out or the babies out because I am afraid ithe rocks hide too much debris. I need to keep these guys alive because my husband has said I can get another large tank to help house them and that is an offer I can not refuse! Love to hear from anyone that has any ideas on doing this right! Thanks Kim

I think that it will be okay to leave the stones in and to add salt to the tank. If you are really concerned with the big rocks...just take them out. I wish you the best with your fry

Hi Kscoleman! What most professional breeders use to combat fungus on eggs and fry is Methylene blue. Its rather mild and harmless to your beneficial bacteria in the sponge filter, and very effective against fungus. Use Methylene Blue only, not any combination that contains Methylene blue and something else.

Its a brand made by Kordon, I believe. Thats how it looks.... :)

Methylene Blue at vvvv

Guest kscoleman

Thanks for the info on the methylene blue. I will check out vvvv on my way to work tomorrow. I really want to keep these guys growing/going! I have had goldies in tanks for 10 years and this is the first time I have seen fry! Kim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kscoleman

Got the methylene blue at my LFS and am using it in a separate 3 gallon tank with 3 fry that have some fungus on them. Seems awfully dark but they have been in there an hour and are trying to eat so they can't be too stressed! Directions say to leave them in there for 3-5 days. I took most of the stones out tonight of the 20 gallon as well so I can keep the tank a little neater. So far I have just used a sponge filter. They are 2 months old today. Most are at least 1/2 inch (not including their tails). The biggest ones have the roundest bellies. There are 3-4 that are still pretty thin looking. When should I add a back filter? Should I cover the intake tube with something? Mom was a black moor and dad was a white oranda with a red cap. They were both very young and small fish when they became parents! I got them last Christmas and they were some of the smallest ones you see at the LFS. How old are they when the littlest ones get shipped out? The fry are all grey to blackish looking but that is ok- I love em! :heart

Archived