Moving To Larger Tank

siansy

Hi ,

I have a new Tank for the boys, I am tranfering them from a 47litre to a 94 litre. In the 47l using a Fluval 1 plus with just a white filter sponge.This is for a tank size up to 45l so has been slightly overworked.

I want to keep this one running in the new tank and add another . I am unsure what other type of filtration to use. Shall I get a larger capacity Fluval or go for something else. Have had a look round the aquarium and there seems to be quite a few different types of filtration. have had a look on some input here and quite confused as to what would be the best.

An advise or ideas would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Sian

The fluval 1 plus runs at 50 gph at the highest setting. A 94 liter tank is approximately 25 gallons.

Regardless of the suggestions on packaging for filters, it is recommended, for a goldfish tank, to have at least 100gph for every ten gallons of water. So, a 25 galon tank needs a total of (at least) 250 gph flowrate. Since your fluval runs at 50gph, you now need to get a fitler that will pump 200 gph. That is, if you plan on using the fluval AND a new filter.

I believe the easiest filters to maintain are hang on back (HOB) filters. If you can find one that pushes 200 gph, then go ahead and get that one.

Or you can stay with the fluval line of filters and get the Fluval 4 Plus (250 gph) and run only that filter on the new tank. Then, you will have the fluval 1 and the ten gallon tank for hospital/quarentine purposes. If you go this route, just take the sponge from your cycled filter and squeeze it out inot the new tank with the new filter running. Squeeze it til it has purged all of its gunk into the new tank. This will effectively bring your tank to within days of being completely cycled. Test daily til ammonia and nitrItes hit 0ppm. Then, your fish are ready to move over to the new tank.

Post back soon. :)

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for the inf. Excuse the ignorance but what is a HOB filter and suggested makes.

If i have read correctly I have been running at half capacity for the past year so this may explain why the nitrate level in the tank climbs quite rapidly so hopefully when moved to new tank with correct filtration this will improve. I do have a small nitrate reading straight out of the tap though.

The aquarium I go to although very strict with water quality ( will not let you purchase any fish until they have checked your water and parameters are right) they do not recomment the stocking properly and I was initially told we could have 6!! fancies in our 47l . We went for four but two died within the first month. I believe this was due to stress (lack of space etc)and the two surviving ones bullied the others. Not long after that they both got their breeding tubacles so I know they are both boys.

They get on well now so will just be sticking to them although often tempted when seeing some beautiful fish.

When I change tanks will not be able to pre cycle the new one as it is going in the same place as the old one . it sits on a wooden cabinet not with a stand. I have found a container that hold 45l so was plannning on putting old water , fish, bubble wall in together in this then tranfering into new tank all together. Is this an okay way to do this.

Many thanks

Sian

Thanks littleone

I though it might be something more complicated.

I went for the Fluval 4 in the end as there will not be alot of space on the side that the filter will go on.

Very impressed. :D It was not as expensive as I though it was going to be and compared to the fluval 1 I already have it is fab.

I have put in in to the smaller tank and within 10 mins it started making the water crystal clear.

Can't wait to move the boys to their new home now , im sure they will love it and at last they will be in a home that is more suited to them with decent filtration.

Cheers

Sian

I have a link that I think you should peruse: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Upon reading that link, I think you will find that nitrAtes are going to ALWAYS rise in any cycled aquarium. This is why weekly waterchanges are suggested. NitrAtes my not be as toxic as ammonia or nitrItes but they definitely can be if left to rise above 40-50ppm for too long.

I think you will also see why two of your goldfish died within the first month. "New tank syndrome".

Ammonia and nitrItes are the two toxins that get out of hand in an unfiltered environment. If you never got any positive readings for either, you are lucky. There must be a good amount of gravel and ornaments to help boast beneficial bacterias.

So you say you have nitrAtes in your tapwater, huh? Test your tapwater for every kit you have. Post the results here.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Tests straight out of tap.

Ph 7.7-8 Hard to tell exactly

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrate light pinkish would be less than 5

It took me 2 months to initially cycle the tank Fishless. Very high Nitrites

Became very frustrating as I was being told diferent things. from lots of regular waterchanges. too just leaving it to complete change of water.

They had been being overfed recently. have been fasting and feeding peas so they were pooing loads. Thats under control now but must have accounted for high nitrates.

Thanks for site info. I am going to move them today or tomorow.

Sian

:D Hi all,

They were moved yesterday. Hard work doing it as quick as possible to cause the least amount of stress.

Loving their new home, bought them loads of new plants as the others were a bit tatty.

Will test water today and keep an eye on it.

Will post pics ( if I can work out how to do it) when film developed ( no digi camera)

Cheers

Sian

Hmmmm, went ahead and bought "live" plants, you say? :huh: If so, I must forewarn you, plants, if not disinfected properly, can bring in nasties in the form of parasites, pest snails and such.

I hope you meant plastic or silk plants. If not, keep a close eye on their habits for the next few weeks. Make note of flashing or scratching on gravel, plants, ornaments or glass. Rapid fin shaking. Mouth chattering with excessive gill movements.

I dont want to scare you, just to clue you in to the reality of mixing living organisms from different far-flung places being a somewhat sensitive practice. FYI, I highly suggest disinfecting new plants with Permoxyn (or potassium permanganate) overnight..... ;)

good luck with your new tank! :D

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm afraid I did mean real. I have always had real plants in the tank.

Is it too late to take them out and disinfect.

Im going to check with the Aquatics Center to see if there is any chance they sterilize the plants there.

Also can you buy the Permoxyn where you would buy other fish bits. I had read about the nasties that fishes could get from plants but only refering to the way to medicate this and not the preventative.

I shall ensure I due this in the future and keeping a close eye on the boys.

Thanks for advice

Sian

Archived