Poor Stan...

Fish_Fanatic

I got back from my cottage last night. I had left when Stan had ick, but I treated it and hoped for the best. What I got was not the best...Stan still has ick, but now he doesn't swim very much, he just floats sideways or upside down, sometimes upside right, wherever the current takes him. He'll aswimm occasionally, but not alot. Also, One of his eyes is completely bloddy, all you can see is a sort of lumpy red circle, and the other eye just has a bit of red at the bottom. What is wrong??? AH! :cry1:unsure:

I don't know the pH, or ammonia levels or anything like that, because I haven't tested it for a little while. He was in a ten gallon tank with one common goldfish and two tiny little ciclids. (No one was picking on him or anything!!! I know it's overstocked) He has an aquaclear mini filter, but I removed the activated carbon to treat with ick gaurd. It was ineffective so far. I usually feed them Nutrafin medium floating goldfish pellets, but I had to go away so I fed them a holiday fish food thing. Also, when I got back, my common goldfish Fred looked a little stressed out.

I just moved Stan to a smaller bowl with an airstone, so the current wouldn't push him around as much. Poor guy...*sniffle*

Stan was a newer fish. He was the most recently added, a couple weeks ago. He was fine until he got ick. What is wrong with him?!? :crp

Ich is the problem. It is also possible that he has succumbed to a bacterial infection as well because he was already sick.

It is a good idea to keep him out of the water current so he doesn't waste precious energy trying to swim or fight the current but you will need to do 100% water changes everyday to keep his water fresh. All else you can do is continue with the ich medication and hope for the best.

The bloody eyes could be the result of advanced ich. Ich does not only effect the skin surface, if not caught early it will infect the fish internally. Unfortunately ich can be fatal.

The bloody eyes could also be the result of a secondary bacterial infection but for the moment you know for sure that the fish has ich so treating that problem is the first issue.

Well, I treated him again this morning, and he doesn't seem to be doing so well. *sigh* I hope he gets through this...I can't stay with him tomorrow, because school starts and my bus comes at 7am!!! :cry1

I'm sorry Fish Fantatic that Stan is so ill. If you keep up his medication and change his water everyday that's about all you can do for him right now. The rest depends on his own strength. I wish you both all the best.

OMG! I walked into my room, and saw Stan leaning right up against the airstone, not breathing! I thought he was dead. I watched him for about a minute, and during that whole minute, he only breathed once. Ah!!!! He has gotten much worse since this morning!!! :cry1

I'm sorry Stan died. :cry1

I recall that some other fish died because your parents used a chemical to clean the tank? If so that is hardly your fault.

It seems you need to go to the "cottage" fairly regularly and perhaps this is causing some problems with your ability to keep fish. So, you are left with Fred and 2 small cichlids, it might be best to just stick with them for the time being until a larger tank is a possibility.

Yeah, we do go to the cottage alot, most of the summer every year. But then when school comes and stuff, we usually stay around the house. Next year, though, I might be staying home alot more because I'm going to get a job. So hopefully my fishies will be alot better. And also, I hope that my other fishies don't get what Stan had, because he was in the tank with the rest of them! :(

"I recall that some other fish died because your parents used a chemical to clean the tank? If so that is hardly your fault."

Naw, that wasn't me...you must be recalling someone else. That would really suck!!! My parents have never cleaned my tank. It's always been up to me.

Maybe it was fantailfan? Anyway, like you said that would be pretty horrible.

Ich is contagious so as a precaution I suggest that you treat the main tank with another round of medication. Be aware that ammonia can skyrocket with meds in the water, as you don't have test kits it would be a good idea to do daily partial water changes as a precaution.

Good luck with your fishies.

Archived