i dont know what the ammonia etc. is as i dont have test kits

there are two filters

i am over stocked

ten gal tank.. a common and a comet and small bristlenose

been running for about 7 or 8 months

i feed her goldfish flakes and treats of frozen bloodworm

no meds in tank

dechlorinator and stress zyme in tank

i thought it was just a swimbladder issue last night when she was floating on her side and swimming in loops and spirals like a roller coaster but thismorning iv found her swollen and with raised scales

her appetite is not what it usually is, shes trying food then spitting it out.

not sure what her poo is like

im pretty sure this is all my fault as the water has not been changed in over a week, i keep thinking "i must do that today" and then it gets late and im like "ok well first thing tomorrow.. then i forget and it goes over again.. im such an ######

:cry1

help

Hi there.

How long are the fish (body only)?

What is the names and models of filter you are using?

Well, without test kits, all we can suggest is that you perform vry large daily waterchanges. About 50-100% daily. Temperature matched, dechlorinated water should be used.

If you haven't done one yet, do it now. If you can get some, treat with maracyn 1 and 2. Keep her water warm at 80-82 degrees.

So, without test kits, how do you know you need to do a waterchange? Truthfully, thre is no way to know. I SERIOUSLY suggest that you get test kits ASAP. Otherwise, you can't possibly know if your water is EVER good. I fear that the water quality is indeed poor and it might have been so for the last 7 months, leading to this.

Good luck with her and keep us updated. :unsure:

Paul

the common is 8cm and the sick comet 7cm.. sorry i dont have it in inches

i know how over stocked i am and do a 40% at least water change every 2-3 days and i have two filters running in there.. a corner box filter.. wihch isnt great but is better than nothing and an Aqua-el power filter, not sure what gpm it is.

Can you tell me wich of the fitlers on this page is yours? : http://www.edkins.com/acatalog/Index_Filte...essories_1.html

Is the corner filter ran by bubbles?

You can counteract overcrowding, temorarily, by having ample filtration. but the fish eventually get too big anyway. I need the info above to tell you if your filtration is enough or not.

Post back soon. :)

Paul

its ok.. she hasnt made it..

iv added another filter to the tank to help prevent this happening again, and i am in the process of asembeling a pond for mouschi (now my only goldie) so no more over stocking for me.

my filter isnt on that page sorry..

The corner filter would have been the juwel all in one, which though has a great habitat for bacteria to grow on the pump isnt strong enough to get the water flowing well around the tank, a major flaw in these otherwise well designed filters.

How many litres or gallons does the tank hold or even its length and height would do?

I havent heard of the other filter you have but if combined together then you should have been close to the filtration needed.

I'm really sorry you lost your fish lucy :heart

yea those box filters arent very good the bubbles just dont get the water going enough.. but the filter is like those on that link, except a bit smaller as it was the one that came with the tank, the tank is a ten gal

If your filter is smaller than any of the filters that you see on that page, and it IS the correct brandname, then the filter you have is highly insufficient for a ten gallon tank. Even with an added spongefilter. The smallest filter on that page, the Aqua-flow mini power filter, only pushes 47 gph, thats less than half of the recommended flow for goldfish. The corner filter cannot possibly handle the rest on its own.

I found Aquael's homepage for you. Take a look and tell me wich filter you have: http://aquael.pl/en/akwarystyka/filtryw.ph...6316684f451d1c0

I have found that almost every single manufacturer out there prints recommendations for tanksizes on the boxes of filters, but it is intended for small tropical fish, not goldfish and the like. When you read a recommendation, on a box for a filter, and it says its for a certain sized tank, you can bet that you will need double what they recommend. This is a constant. I have yet to find a single company that actually had the correct recommendations for using the filter with fast growing, large fish such as goldfish.

So, If you decide to try goldfish again, I would definitely make sure that the gph that your filters push is correct for the amount of gallons you have in the tank. If this is not achieved, then poor water quality WILL happen.

I am truly sorry you lost your fish. I have an inkling that the water quality was indeed the cause of all this. Best to be prepared with sufficient filtration (aaaaaand, test kits!) in the future.... ;)

Good luck! :)

Paul

by the way i do still have a goldfish left in there!

http://aquael.pl/en/akwarystyka/filtryw.ph...6316684f451d1c0

thats the filter.. it does look increadibly small now i think about it.. its just that i got it with the tank before i really knew anything about water quality and have always had it and it didnt really cross my mind to get a better one

Oh, thats great you still have one wiggling around! How is it doing? :huh:

The filter you have only pushes about 65 gph. So, it would be wise for you to get another filter that pushes at least 40 gph. This will invariably keep your bio-filtration rock-solid so that your water is ALWAYS clean. ;)

Paul

Archived