Thin Layer Of White On My Black Moor?

Guest fpv_girl

Guest fpv_girl

<_< I have no idea what is wrong with my black moor, hes had trouble from day one but he seemed to be fine for the last two weeks and now hes got like a thin layer of white on him.

Ammonia Level? :cry1 i dont know

Nitrate level? :cry1 i dont know

Ph Level? 7.0

Ph Level out of the Tap?6.8

Tank size(How many Gals) 16L

How long has it been running? 1 month 2 weeks

What kind of Filtration? i dunno its jus a filter and a stone bubbler

How often do you change the water and how much? once a week, 50%

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? Water Ager

Any Medications add to the tank? nope

How many fish in the tank and there size? 2 one is 4cm and other about 6cm

Add any new fish to the tank? nope

What do you feed your fish? pellets and flakes

Any unusual findings on the fish? only the white

Any unusual behavior? nope

If you can what is the chloramines Level

from the Tap? i dont know sry

Hi fvp_girl - would you say it resembles more of a milky texture? or fungus? Is it all over?

Also, you should get your parameters checked - your tank is too small for 2 fish.... 16 litres is 4 gallons and each fish needs roughly 10 gallons each. The waste they will be producing would, i'm guessing, be more than your filter can handle.

So would you be able to take a sample of water to your lfs and ask them to write down the parameters for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates - then post back here?

The only problem is, this still doesn't help narrow down what it could be or why it has now appeared.

To give you an example - if it's a milky coating on his skin, this could be due to:

- pH plunges. When the pH plunges, fish hover at the surface and get milky skins.

- Ammonia burn or

- Parasitism.

If it's any of the above, the water needs to be perfect; ph needs to be stable or in the case of parasites, salting your tank my help.

Now white fuzzy areas or tufts can be tough to actually diagnose - it could be fungus, epistylis or bacterial columnaris.

This is why it's so important to try and narrow it down - because at this stage it could be due to any number of reasons from water qualtiy, to ph plunges to parasites to fungus etc...

So if you can try and get some water readings, this would be a good first step. A second step could be adding 1 teaspoon of sea/rock or aquarium salt per gallon (in your case - 4 teaspoons) and wait to see if there's any improvement :)

Guest fpv_girl

I've just looked at the symptoms and stuff and i think it looks like body fluke i think its called, so how do i get a quick cure on that, my other fish is orange with googly eyes and his fins apear to be stuck to his skin. is this flukes?

Flukes can manifest themselves in several ways. Red spots on the body, spitting out food, flashing (erratic swimming and rubbing against rocks/ornaments).

Can you see their gills? Check to see whether they're a healthy deep red in colour then post back and lets us know whether they're doing any of the above.

For flukes, you would need to get a cure called prazi - but before we go down that path, post back with every symptom you can see.

If they have clamped fins - seriously, add 4 teaspoons of salt to your tank. But before you do this, i'd suggest doing another 60% waterchange. As you changed all the water yesterday, you may be showing toxic levels of ammonia and indeed, this may be what's ailing them. The symptoms sound as though it's water related.

So after today (60%) it's very important to replace about 20% of the water each day until you can get some water tests done - it may be just the help they need.

Guest fpv_girl

Ok i jus looked at them and they still look normal no weird behavior an nothing changed with there gills since i bought them, my partner confessed last night that he fed his fish, which is the orange one some Betta Food u know the stuff u buy for siamese fighters well i had a fighter and it died so we still have the food and he said he wanted to see if they would eat it.....omg can you imagin what he will be feeding my kids when we have them lol. could this be whats make them this way?

Hi

I doubt if the food did it.

Clamped fins shows the fish are either ill or stressed.

As this has hapened before and if i remember corectly you have recently lost a few fish in the same tank, I really think JenW is right here

Its water quality and overcrowding that is compromising their imune system and making them suseptable to illness.

Please dont take this as being nasty but a few people have already told you when the others died that 16 ltrs is not going to keep your fish healthy.

The best thing you can do is get a larger tank and test kits and waterchanges.

Archived