Are All Snails Ok For Water?

vette427

I was wondering if all snails can be put into water, because i have tons of snails in my garden that like to stick to my house. Does anyone know if i was to put one in my tank would they be ok??? I dont know anything about snails so i cant tell you want kind they are. Thanks

Guest Chishower

Nope, there are land snails and aquatic snails. Aquatic snails can be found in the water, they generally dont go on land. However, if you want one , pet stores normally sell apple snails.

Guest Chishower

If there is nothing else to eat, yep he will eat your algea but you still need to feed him other things like veggies and shrimp. Does your tank have live plants?

Guest Chishower

Depends on the snail. Brigs are the smaller of the apple snails, they dont touch live plants. Your biiig snails though, the canas and the insularums, will eat anything they can get their little mouths on. :blink: Speaking of which, I need to feed mine.

yep, snails and goldies will do just fine together....and, if you want plants, def. go for brigs, canas and the other big guys will nuke your tank. :D good luck with em dude...keep us updated!

My brig will eat the dead leaves off my plants but he doesn't touch the live ones. He's like my own personal aquatic gardner!

390130[/snapback]

Wow..that's handy, glad it turned out that way!

The fish might eat the snails, or at least nip at them, sometimes causing permadent damage such as loss of foot or tentacle tissue. I kept my first snails with my mutt goldfish (somewhere between a comet and a common) and she constantly terrorized them, causing some missing and shorter tentacles, before I separated them. (Sorry I stole your question Kissy.)

Snails will eat dead fish, though, so I suppose it goes both ways.

RAWR! Monster snail!!! Swim little goldie, SWIM! Ahhhhh! Blub blub... LOL! Just kidding :) Snails can be victims of harassment from both fancies and single tailed goldfish, but I think its more common with the single taileds :)

Archived