Best Way To Catch A 11in Comet?

Guest LadyAMC

Guest LadyAMC

I need to move my fish to Dallas in a week. Now what is the best way to catch my 11in fish w/o hurting them? You know so I can take them outta the tank and into the buckets. I have the regular fish nets u get at pet stores but I would think that those would hurt the fish. I also have a 10in plec which, last time I caught him in a net he got a bit tangled since he has prickly armor skin.

I have never had a fish that big, or had to catch a fish that big, but maybe if you put some kind of divider in the tank to lessen his swimming area it would be easier?

As for the pleco, couldn't you just grab him with your hands and put him in whatever you're carrying him in? (Once again, never done it.)

:goodluck

When I have to move Trevor the 6 inch common I just coat my hands in Nov Aqua or Amquel+ like lotion and catch him gently as you would un-hook a fish. Gently cup your hand around him moving slowly back toward his tail, make sure his pectoral and dorsal fins are laid back under your fingers so they don't get bent the wrong way. It's fairly simple and effective, most seem to lie eerily still out of the water this way, but they go quitely instead of sloshing in nets or buckets.

I god, I must be the meanest fish keeper out there. I just put a bucket in the pond and a good size net and scoop and plop super fast. I figure, less time... less stress?

My fish are all big bullies, big BIG bullies and I figure they do worse pushing each other around every day.

I would use a long, plastic storage box to catch them. thats how we moved my friend 18" pleco, Freddie.

We got like a "shoebox" type storage tub for 98cents from target, lowered the tank water, and scooped him into a bigger tub. it wasnt gracefull, but it worked

The bucket idea has worked great for me with other big fish, as has the hands method. I use buckets for spiney fish (with a lid over them! strong fish can use a flat hard bottom as leverage to fly out) or slippery fish like dojo loaches, and hands for fish that are tame enough to go from point A to point B without a fuss. Don't use hands for a long distance though...and keep the fish's eyes covered if possible. Last thing you want is a big strong fish flopping about because it saw something scarey when you're several feet away from the destination.

Archived