Is He Dying?

Guest carolask

Guest carolask

Bought my fish 13 days ago. He was a sluggish eater from the beginning. after a week I noticed if he stopped swimming, he'd begin to float tail up. On day 10 he was floating on his side, then on his back at the top of the water. I thought he was a goner, but then he began to swim normally. This cycle has been going on for the last three days. His abdomen looks bloated and it doesn't look like he's pooping. Is there anything I can do to help/save him. I don't want him to suffer. Thanks for any help.

I am learning he's in a bowl that's too small -- one gallon. I feed him TetraFin flakes 2X a day, if he's eating. At first I used bottled water, but last time tap water that sat for 24 hours before changing the bowl. I'm new at goldfish ownership.

Guest carolask

Bought my fish 13 days ago. He was a sluggish eater from the beginning. after a week I noticed if he stopped swimming, he'd begin to float tail up. On day 10 he was floating on his side, then on his back at the top of the water. I thought he was a goner, but then he began to swim normally. This cycle has been going on for the last three days. His abdomen looks bloated and it doesn't look like he's pooping. Is there anything I can do to help/save him. I don't want him to suffer. Thanks for any help.

I am learning he's in a bowl that's too small -- one gallon. I feed him TetraFin flakes 2X a day, if he's eating. At first I used bottled water, but last time tap water that sat for 24 hours before changing the bowl. I'm new at goldfish ownership.

HI and welcome.

Yes a bowl is very bad for a gf, he is suffering from water issues.

You will need to upgrade him (if you only have 1 fish) to a 10-20 gal tank with a filter.

You will need to read up on cycling and water quality.

Until then you need to be changing his water 100% everyday to make the water safe for him.

Gf cannot live in a bowl for long.

You can fast him for a couple days, it won't hurt him. Fish are fasted up to a week for shipping reasons.

Then follow by feeding him a pea that is thawed and deshelled. Cut it up into bite size pieces for him.

Peas are a natural laxative for gf.

Guest carolask

Laurie,

Hope this gets to you. I'm new here and don't know my way around that well.

Thanks for your advise. Fish is doing much better. He's still got away to go but I think he'll be ok, thanks to you.

I've been changing his water every day and dosing it with AmQuel + and NovAqua by Kordon. I've also added Maracyn-Two.

Fish is more active, :krazy: floating less (although he still floats on his back for brief periods, but then rights himself). Don't know why I'm calling him a him and not a her. I have no idea how to sex a fish.

Now that I know that GF need more care, and I'm more confident that fish will survive, I promise i will learn about GF care and follow up. thanks again. God bless. Carol

I have to comend you that you are willing to learn :)

Stick to the 100% waterchanges as Lauri sugested, you will have to do this till you get a new home :)

Its hard....I am doing it aswell

as fo sexing....thats hard! unless its a mature male with breeding stars...very hard

some say the anal protrusin is proment on females and it dont poke out on males

Also where the anal fin touches the body its thicker in a female...but unless you have a few fish to compare, its hard to see

Also males chase females when breeding

A young fish wont show this, so I guess you got to wait till the "grow up"

Archived