He's A Bit Thin...

Gold Ryu

Could possibly be ich, and a seriously skinny betta is not a good sign. Change his water and feed him a little bit more everyday, he could have internal parasites causeing a lack of appetite, has he been eating everything you give him? And can you give us some water readings?

They're meant to be svelte but not gaunt. If they get chubby they just look like grumpy old men IMHO. It'll probably take a bit of looking around at young bettas before you get your eye in and can tell the difference between svelte and gaunt, but if you feed him the proper amount then he should fatten up. His finnage and irridescence will liven up as well, with proper care.

There's a lot of shock associated with new water at a new house, unless you can exactly recreate the conditions at the fish shop, and if he is carrying ich, this is the time it will rear its ugly head. Definitely keep an eye on it. Any more dots and you should move quickly with treatment... or maybe just get some bettamax/melafix now and find out what other stronger medications are available.

You can use bettamax/melafix to wipe out the corners of tanks if they're looking a little gungy too so it won't be wasted.

The little round pellets? The aquarium guy told me three of those too... but I translate that to five freeze dried bloodworms... they're less dense.

Mine are really active with reasonable sized tanks. In a little jar two pellets would be fine. Five is probably too many, sorry... I've never used pellets or flake.

:) You also have to remember the fact that you just got him.When supplier's send fish,they usually starve them a few days so that ammonia in bag won't kill them. may be that he's a little on the thin side from that..A huge factor on Betta'sgetting ill is Poor water conditions,and OVERFEEDING.Believe me when i tell you that your Betta will eventually let you know that he wants food all the time. :lol: The worse thing that you can do for the little guy is give into him.Stick with what you've been told by other's that have a little experience. :D

Sorry for double posting but i have another question...Is it a good thing he is aggressive to me?When i dip my finger in the bowl his gills open and he tries to bite me. And i have no food on my finger.And he knows it cuz when i feed him he just takes the food from my hand and leaves.

Archived