Apple Snails...

Anic

Would one be ok for each of my tanks? One is the 10 gal w/little fish and a pleco, the other is the 29 gal with my goldies in them. My mom's boyfriend and I are going to town tomorrow, and if I can, I'll buy a couple. Also, is there any way to tell if they are healthy?

I know to look for chipped shells, but what else?

Thanks for any help!

Guest Chishower

Pleco or no, your still going to need to feed them. Go for a smaller one, they are younger. And shells can be fixed, you need to look more at their feet and eye stalks and such, make sure everything is whole.

So, they need to have two unharmed eyestalks, no holes or cracks. How do I check their feet? Do I check for sores or cuts? I've never really looked at their feet.

Guest Chishower

The feet should be sticking to the glass, just make sure the fish havent been picking at them. You would be amazed how bad some of these poor pet store snails are...

As for the shells, a little pitting is to be expected. Its the really deep cracks you have to worry about, and alot of that can be fixed. (yay nailpolish!)

This is probably too late, but as with any animal, they should be reasonably active. I once went to mmm and every single snail was lying upside down all closed up, probably dead or nearly dead. Snails are nocturnal but it's not unusual for them to slime around during the day.

Also, a caution: not all fish are good with snails. I don't know what your "little fish" are, but if they are Barbs, Tetras, or Rasboras (generally "picky" or "nippy" species) I would not recommend introducing a snail in there, as they can eat tentacles, bite feet and eyes, etc. Same with goldies, although with them it is very much on an individual basis. The only goldie I ever kept with snails nipped at them and harrassed them constantly, causing many tentacles to be shorter than when they went in the tank, as well as producing many shy, inactive snails. Other people have kept them with goldies without a problem. Generally the fancier the goldie is, the nicer it is. Each fish is an individual however, so monitor your fish and snails' interaction for the first few days, and pull the snail (or the fish, but the snail's easier) at the first sign of trouble.

I didn't get one. I ended up buying another fishie. But the little fish I have are baby minnows (I'm beginning to think they're jumping out of the tank because I don't see as many as the first day)

Archived