How Long?

gollie23

Iam cycling my tank and I'm on my 4th week and is still reading nitrites. How long does it usually take for nitrite to go down? Everytime I test my nitrite it reads 2.0..EVERYTIME. I'm changing 30% of water when water levels are bad. Then I test again and get 2.0 ppm again. How long will I have to change waters everyday.. :unsure:

When I cycled my nitrites were stuck at 2.0 for about 2 (very long) weeks!! It was really worrying me--what the nitrite was doing to my goldies. So then I got more serious and started doing more frequent and larger % water changes. It finally dropped once I did 50% water changes (daily for about 3-4 days) instead of 25% like I had been doing. That dropped it to 0.50 then I just tested the water daily and changed the water as needed (they say you really want it to be below 0.50).

Also salting the water protects the fish from the nitrite and if you can add Prime or AmQuel +. Either one will detoxify the nitrite without affecting your readings when you do water changes.

Good luck and hang in there!!

I'd add salt at 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Pre-dissolve in tank water and make sure it disperses well when you add it. You can use non-iodized table salt as long as it doesn't contain yellow prussiate of soda. Rock salt is cheap and works well. NitrIte is toxic. It enters thru the gills and binds up the red blood cells keeping them from being able to carry oxygen. Salt helps protect against nitrIte poisoning because it competes with nitrIte for uptake thru the gills. After you get it salted, when you do partial water changes just add 1 tsp of salt per gallon changed till nitrItes come down to 0, then you can skip adding any more salt. Your partial water changes will then remove it over time.

Nope, as DataGuru said (and she is a guru!), it's 1 tsp per gallon (entire tank volume) to start. Then when you do water changes it's 1 tsp per gallon changed.

So let's say you have a 10 gallon tank. Initially you'd add 10 tsp (dissolved in tank water). Then when you do a water change, say 25% you'd add 2.5 tsp or a 50% water change you'd add 5 tsp. And remember, always dissolve it in tank water.

Happy salting!

Well we had a little incident with Dorothy getting stuck in a decorative rock during the same time so I'm sure that didn't help. But even before she got stuck she wasn't swimming around quite as much, just not as playful.

Sometimes they can be at the top gasping for air if there isn't enough oxygen in the water. Do you have enough surface agitation from the filters or how about an aerator?

I don't know what else might make them gasp for air. Maybe someone with more knowledge can help out a little more.

How are the nitrite readings lately?

I have plenty of aeration. I have a bubble wall and my filter. They aren't gasping for air anymore or atleast I don't see them doing it anymore so that's good. I think the nitrite. I will test tomorrow I gotta get to bed.. school tomorow... <_<

Archived