Changing Filter

Guest Lavisa

Sorry if I should have posted this under another heading, I am new and alittle confused. Anyway... Yesterday I read, I think Paul? said, just to swish the carbon cartridge in tank water or dechlorinated water. Which is what I do in between times. But how long does that go on. I am very familiar with the benefical bacteria that is why I have a aquarium sponge in front of my filter. But it has been my understanding from my research (alittle knowledge isn't always a good thing, hehe) That one of the reasons for changing the filter is because the carbon in it very quickly gets to be "consumed" (cannot think of the word I want to use)

and not longer does its job. Maybe compaired to baking soda in the fridge. I thought the advice to tear off the (mine is blue) floss was a good Idea and put it in front of the filter. But then do I really have to do that because I already have the sponge in there? ALSO if I change my cartridge I should probably not disturb the sponge for at least for a week? Or is it ok to take the sponge and do a swish in tank water in a bucket or treated water, am I killing the good bacteria? :ill

Thank You!!

Lori

Well i dont use carbon but it becomes "inactive" in a week or so and becomes useless basically (correct me if i'm wrong because i dont use it). What i do is swish the filter media from the filter in a bucket of used water (like if i were doing a water change, i'd fill a bucket with water from the tank), then you get rid of all the gunk, but keep the bacteria - then your filter will still work at full capacity.

Thank you. Also thank you for inactive, hehe I was thinking ineffectual and thought give it up! But I think I would fear not using it too. Took me a long time to give up the under gravel filters because it was what I knew for years.

I was on another sight months ago that the moderator opened the back grate and put in new charcoal.

Lori

I have found that my carbon insert works for about a month. There's no harm in keeping the 'used' floss in your filter to help the biobugs grow. Just keep an eye on your water params. You can take out the used floss in a week or two.

I would alternate the dates when you swish your sponge and change out your carbon. You don't want to disturb the biobugs too much. Unless you have a tank that is really established....

Archived