Rip

Guest Chishower

Guest Chishower

I woke up this morning to find my big calico oranda floating dead in his QT tank...I don't know what happened, I don't WANT to know what happened, and I cant stop thinking its my fault. :cry1 I will never forget how he liked to be petted and demanded part of an algea wafer before bed at night...

I guess this is why we quarentine fish, though...

:heartP1010007.jpg:heart

This has made me do some serious thinking, though, and I don't know if I can go through this anymore. I need to take a few days to think about if I want to continue with this hobby... :(

Guest Chishower

He wasnt sick with anything! Thats whats bothering me. I looked him overtoday: no visible parasites, no bloating or raised scales, no red streaks or patches, no outward injuries, no ammonia burns no nothing. He always ate well, never had problems with constipation, nothing. There is NO reason to why this fish is dead, and thats what kills me. :cry1

No chemicals got in the tank. The filter filtered it 15X per hour, and was cycled. No other fish. I DONT GET IT!

Really sorry to hear about your fishy :( .... the problem with keeping our fish is that they will leave us at some time, its the same with any pets we keep, the price to pay for all the happiness we get...

its still worth it tho, sometimes maybe some fish just arent meant to stay with us. You look after all your pets so well and love them so mcuh - you know it wasnt anything you did, just one of those horrible things.

:cry

Sorry you lost your fish! I hope you will continue with keeping fish!

Remember it is a constant learning experience. We are taking a completely forgein world into our world and trying to maintain it. The fish are little alien beings that we cannot converse with, at best we try to figure out their needs.

It always seems to me just when I think I have it right, something happens to remind me that I don't really know near enough!

But the most important things are that I am always trying to learn more & I REALLY like my fishies!! :exactly

i'm so sorry about your fish :( she was such a cutie, but you shouldn't give up. you took very good care of her and loved her, if it wasn't for you she may not have ever had that. maybe she was born with some kind of internal birth defect that you couldn't have known she had. unfortuantley bad things happen, we have no control over that, but that shouldn't stop you from doing something you love. there is another little fishie out there waiting for you when you are ready, don't deny him/her the love you can give ;)

really sorry mate, what a beautiful fish

i'm agree with jeana. deaths are unavoidable, and sometimes we don't know what's the cause, one day they just....dead.

advancements in goldfish science and thousands of years of gf keeping experience have brought us today with a very reliable way of keeping them. but yeah as jeana say, fish are aliens things, we can just try our best. ;)

to learn & to forget, and to strive for the better, that's the way!

I've no idea what could have happened, I'm very sorry. The ways of fish are mysterious.

edit: one possibility is that your fish had an illness, was treated and recovered before you bought it. It's possible that your fish had a sudden relapse. It's not unusual for the same scenario to happen at home - where a fish recovers, seems fine and then gets sick again. The sudden death could be attributed to organs damaged in the inital illness and they just gave out.

I'm so sorry Andy....I know its tough, belive me. If you don't, just remember my history with goldfish. I seriously doubt it was anything you did, you're one of the best fishy mom's out there. Is the petsore you got him from reliable? Next time you go, see if there are any sick/dead fish in there. You definately need time to get things together and heal. It really hurts losing a fish, especially three in a row. Don't give up just yet, your fishies need you! When my goldfish die, I'm always really sad and stressed for weeks, and after the fifth one, I was just so depressed/stressed/devasted that I seriously considered no more goldies, even tho I had just bought a 29 gallon tank and everything with it. I'm okay now tho, and the tank is almost cycled for more, hopefully I'll have a little more luck this time. Pm me if you ever want to talk, I'm always here for you :hug

~Lauren

Guest Chishower

Thanks everyone. :heart

edit: one possibility is that your fish had an illness, was treated and recovered before you bought it. It's possible that your fish had a sudden relapse. It's not unusual for the same scenario to happen at home - where a fish recovers, seems fine and then gets sick again. The sudden death could be attributed to organs damaged in the inital illness and they just gave out.

I am thinking something like that happened, something internal, or a pH crash that I didn't catch.

Is the petsore you got him from reliable? Next time you go, see if there are any sick/dead fish in there.

Its a great store, just opened. No dead fish, clean water, they dont take fish from customers because they dont want anything getting in, really nice people. They take advice too, like when I helped them treat some SBD fishies. I highly doubt that it was anything from the store.

My father has more or less forbid me from getting rid of the fish...he likes to watch them swim. :blink: We are going to put little twink in a 10 gallon (she is naturally tiny...never grown, not in the 30 or the 55) with the snails and the pleco because Bug keeps picking on EVERYONE, and then we might get a second comet to put in the 55 with bug, keep him in line... little brat he is. He pushes the snails around like soccer balls, waits for the pleco to look away before stealing his food (not even to eat it!) and has more or less shredded twinks tail. Sheesh.

Oh Andy - i'm so very sorry :heart

For what it's worth, your little fish was very lucky. If I were a fish, I'd want to be with someone who would mourn my passing instead of someone who'd just toss me down the toilet. It would mean my life was worthwhile.

You have a great heart and a great capacity to care for fish so any little fish in your care is one of the lucky ones :heart

andy i'm so sorry this has happened. I too lost my beloved blue oranda this week. He was my favourite and most beautiful... and by far the fish in the tank with the personality. I feel your loss.

And as far as the hobby goes... if it was something that made you feel good then you should continue. This one death shouldn't prevent you from continuing. YOu did the best you could and perhaps there's a bigger reason why your fish died.

I like you don't really know what happened. And I also blamed myself for his death. But we know we did our best for them and cared for them with love.

I am so sorry...

You even used his pic to show me the white dots on his face are wen growth rather a kinda disease.

Mine with the same symptom is getting worse in a couple of days. I think you'd better re-examine what the22 the white dots are.

Good luck!

Archived