New Fish, Swiming On Tank Bottom

Guest Pixelsurgeon

Guest Pixelsurgeon

I think I have same problem as Ifsny, http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=34876

I have quite a big tank (sorry not sure of size , its about 61x30x30)

Anyways, I always had just one gold fish (its white with a bit of red on top) but recently I got 6 more goldfish (all red). One morning Ive noticed one of the new gold fish has died, and all the fish are now on the bottom of the tank, under plant. I was thinking mybe because its realy hot now here and the heat but I am not sure, I dont know much about those fish. I will try to get sample of the water but its hard due to hours I work. The old goldfish seem to have the back tail a bit roughen up as well, what should I do?

:(

Well,the first thing to do would be to check your water.Introducing the gf could have also bought in disease-Ands it'll probably be best if we can figure out how many gallons your water holds.Good luck

hi :welcome

61cmx30cmx30cm? then it's about 55 litres, that equals to about 15 gals. u got 7 fish (6 now cos one died i presume) there which is overcrowded. u need *atleast* a 50-60 gal tank for ur goldfish. what kind of filter u have there? have you cycled the tank? and what kind of goldfish do u have? pics might help ;)

The last image looks like finrot but I'm not exactly sure.And that tank is WAY to small for 6 gf :(

You need to test the water and that would help alot.I dont think all will survive.And when you introuduced the fish,I 'm positive some where sick and passed the disease to your otehr fish.First check the water and also buy AQAURIAM-no table-salt.and put 1 teaspoon per gallon.First do 15 teaspoons then in 12 hours do another teaspoon and in another 12 hours do 15 again.Thats all-We should probably wait till some one more experienced comes along.Good luck.

Hi and welcome :)

Also your said you got the new fish recently...How long ago exactly? How big are they? and have you done a water change sinse you got them?

Im sorry but that amount of goldfish in that amount of water without VERY frequent changes will turn the water toxic at a very fast rate.

If you can answer these questions and as many in the white box it will help alot to work out whats going on.

Guest Pixelsurgeon

I changed all the water when I got the new fish, I looked at them today and their fins look very 'riped', specialy on top looks almost missing :blink: Im realy worried now, specialy since I do late work and I can't go to shop to get much as they close early :o

I had the new fish only a week and I have already changed about 30% of water.

I think you should change about 30% of the water every day and put the salt in.Everytime you do a water change,put the right amount of salt back in.With finrot you should try to buy Melafax,that may help.Try to see if that helps any.Can you try to awnswer as many questions as you can on the top box.That would help ALOT

Guest Pixelsurgeon

I found an expert shop not far from me that helped me, my water was realy bad :( it was my fault for changing all the water when I got the new sand and Ive lost my main fish which I had for 6 years :cry1

the man said there is nothing I can do but just not feed them for few weeks untill water gets better. he said I should come back to him in a week with water sample and change 20-30% water every day. he didn't suggest any salt to me though.

R.I.P. Blade :cry1

Oh,I'm sorry :cry1

Maybe some of your other ones will be ok.But salt will help so I recommend it.What exactly were the readings?Did you ask-it could help a bit more.And mistakes happen, :(

Hopefully your other fish will be ok.

Guest Pixelsurgeon

one of the readings was kind of lime light green, other was quite dark blue/purple :(

I hope those that I still alive will survive though :(

thanks for all the help though.

Ok please do not take this the wrong way...but alot of fish shops know nothing

so get the water re-tested and get them to write down the numbers

post the numbers here.

Also do the salt.

So far (without test kits results) I am guessing its water quality that has lowered the imune system

then adding new fish that were not in Quarentine, its very very very possible the new fish added a disease/parasite to the tank.

Once the imune system is compromised the all those nasty bugs/parasites will take an opotunity.

Can you get new readings for us?

and repost all symptoms

the more information the better.

Guest Pixelsurgeon

from what I saw the read was on darkes purple and other was middle of the yellow/lime line. The fish had red vains in the tails etc.

out of 8 fish I had last week only 2 are left :cry1 I feel like I have failed them, I feel so bad about it :(

I got the salt and been using it for the last two days.

Guest Pixelsurgeon

I just followed what the box said 1/2 spoon to 3.75l

what do you mean by a salt bath? u kepth it in seperate container for a period of time in more salt or?

Hi Pixel,

From what I just read, there's a lot going on here..... You need to buy your test kits, drops, not strips. the strips are inaccurate. Ammonia, Nitrite,Nitrate,Ph, add in these as you can: gh & kh and a salt test kit.

Fancy Goldfish need 10 gls each, 15-20 for pond comets,Shebunkins and the bigger types.

The amount of salt you used was not adequate either. What is proscribed on the Aquarium salt box's is merely like adding minerals (tonic) back into the water. In most cases, water already has some salt and adding salt in weekly with water changes is not really needed. For treating fish, higher doses are used. 1 tsp per gl =0.1%. Any salt will do so long as it does not additives, binders or YPS. Rock Salt, Sea Salt, water softening salt, Kosher salt to name a few.

You also need a good ammonia binder, Prime or Amquel plus. If the water used is from a city source, then it generally has ammonia, aka chlorine/chloramines in it.

Goldfish are little poo factory's and filtration needs to be 10 x the tank size, 10 gl's = 100 gph. More is nicer! Air pump and air stone/bubble bar.

Weekly tests & water changes, keeping the water pristine is the best bet for happy healthy goldies! :D No overcrowding.

The red in the tails is stress, caused from poor water quality, too many fish.

Bring the salt level up to the 0.1%, increase air and get some dechlor in the water to help get that ammonia under control along with the water changes.

When you change the water, make sure only add salt back into the new water amount only.

To treat the fin rot, you can do a iodine swab (peroxide or betadine will also work). Do this only once, do not get any in the eye's, mouth or gills. Use a qtip and apply, give it a quick blow and replace them back into the tank.

Guest Pixelsurgeon

thank you Kathy, a bit late though :(

The last fish alive looks string and healthy but I will do some of the stuff you say to make sure it stays that way.

Again thank you all.

Regards.

Archived