Goldfish Poo Question

goldiemom51

My goldfish is currently in an uncycled tank. When I brought the fish home, I fed them probably more than I should have. Never noticed any waste though. Now I have cut back on the feeding (I only have one fish left out of 3). I have not noticed my fish poo in quite some time. I have fed a pea on two occasions in the last week or so thinking constipation is an issue. Is this normal or should I be doing something different? I don't want to lose my last fish too. I think by looking at pictures it is a ryukin.(Ignorant fish mom when I started this adventure).

2 days will do no harm unless he hasnt eaten in weeks.

Goldfish can go quiet a while without food..couple weeks even.

You said you already fed the peas but if there was no fasting and peas were with flakes then it wont work aswell as a good fast, then peas only

I know they wiggle and beg and do the "feed me feed me" thing and make you feel guilty, but they piggies!

If it makes you feel any better I fast mine once a week, today was fasting day...luckly i had to go out all day for fathers day so I handled it well as I did not see the begging :)

OK It is now 7 am on day 2. This is killing me. My fish is mad at me. (S)he just glares at me when I walk by the tank!! (S)he looks like my kids when I tell them no more snacks! That ole I'm starving look. I sure hope this works!! I don't want to have to do this again until the tank is running in tip top shape!!!

Hi Goldiemom, :)

How is fishy doing now, just wanted to check as we have both been having poo questions. I am still having to fast mine as one is still pooing but not very much now and shall be pea feeding for a couple of days tommorow. I have also bought floating pellets now as I think this might be easy to moniter.

I never though I would become so obsesed with fish waste.

Regards

Sian

I just came on to bring the good news!! Last night after a dinner of peas, (s)he did it. This morning I noticed what looks like a milky/green colored one on the bottom of the tank and he had a long dark & big one trailing behind him. It appears do be dark green in color. It looked like it had white stringy stuff at the beginning end. Is this ok or should I be concerned? Is this just because this poor fish was way to constipated and now is cleaning out?

I hope everything works out with yours. Trust me I never thought I would sit for an hour hoping to see a fish poo. LOL

Kerri

Hi Kerri, :D

That sounds like exactely what mine have been having apart from they never actually seemed to get the constipated bit where they didn't go.

I think it is all just clearing out. I did have a panic when there were white bits as on the fish poop link here it says that could be a sign of an infection but then it ended up blackish again.

My two are now fine and have started them pellets. They were moved into their new tank yesterday ( double the size) and loving it. Happily swiming around and seem alot calmer and comfortable.

I fasted then til the poo comletely stopped.

What is your fish called?

Regards

Sian

:welcome

Welcome to the Club - of crazy ( I mean devoted) people like us who never thought we would sit up all night b/c a fish is sick! :lol: Congrats - the fish is getting better! Now you know all about fish poo! :exactly

Now that he has relieved himself - what are you feeding him regularly?

BTW - they are always hungry! Fishy was prolly mad, not at you, only b/c he/she could not eat anymore being so stuffed up! (My cat went through this last week - at least he fish do not have fangs...)

Tell us more about your fish! :D

:) Heya Kerri,didn't you ever notice how it's the small things in life that thrill us? :lol: Anyway,Glad to hear that the fish is doing his thing. Don't ever feel guilty when you have to fast them-The little bugger's are just like 2 year olds,and will try anything to get what they want. :lol: What type of regular diet are you feeding him?

Well, I have to say I was an ignorant fish mom until I found Kokos! I bought three fish and immediatly lost two. The one I have remaining I think may be an oranda (red maybe). It appears to have a wen. I thought at first it was a ruykin (sp). Anyhoo, I haven't named the little darling yet as I have been trying so hard to keep it alive!! Fishy would be appropriate for this household as my youngest named our cat "my kitty" when we got him! :lol:

As for diet, I have been feeding TetraFin flakes (came w/tank). I am only feedin once a day. I will be fasting once a week and feeding peas to make sure this never happens again! I also have Wardley Goldfish Crumbles. Have not used but they are supposed to be slow sinking. Haven't used yet. Any thoughts?

I plan on starting Spirulina flakes and some Brine shrimp or the like once I get his tank cycled.

My husband now thinks I have lost it completely. As I proclaimed the night before last "Yeah he finally pooped!" HeHe

Siam-glad everything is working out for you. Congrats on the new tank!

Archived